Udemy is one of the most popular online educational platform of the internet. It provides various lessons on different areas, particularly on the I.T field. On the other hand, Udemy has always been criticized for its lack of consistency with its lessons. This is due to the many instructors that teach the same topic, but doesn’t cover the entire aspects of the topic that they teach. With that being said, we have tested some Udemy alternatives that provides various online courses below, which provides almost the same online courses. Some of these websites offer their lessons for free, while others charge for a fee, just like with Udemy. Continue reading this article to get the best sites similar to Udemy.
1. What Makes a Good Educational Video Site?
Before deciding which is the best among the websites below, we must first address the factors that make them great. Below are some of the things that you can consider when looking for an educational website.
Factors to consider
- Global Recognition: One factor to consider in choosing an online educational platform, is that it must adhere to international standards. Additionally, it must be recognized by different institutions worldwide.
- Foreign Language Availability: You should also consider if the educational website that you chose is available on your local language. Language barrier can greatly affect the learning process. This is the reason why you must check first to avoid such issues later on.
- Device compatibility There are people who prefer using their tablets or mobile devices. This is why it is vital to know if the website is available on mobile, like an application.
- Diverse course options It is a given that educational websites offer different lessons. However, you should pick the one that focuses more on your the course of your choice.
Masterclass Online offers classes in different fields like cooking, acting, and writing. Each lessons are handled by famous celebrities like Stephen Curry, Anna Wintour, and even Samuel L. Jackson. If you are interested in various disciplines which are on the creative side, then you will find Masterclass as the ideal website to try. Unlike Udemy, Masterclass doesn’t allow just anyone to share their lessons. Udemy also frequently goes on sale which is contrary to Masterclass. If you prefer quality over quantity, then this is the site for you.
Masterclass gives students the chance to learn directly under the supervision of a celebrity mentor. They can directly choose the mentor that they want from its category section. The classes are in HD quality like 720p, 1080p and even 4K resolution. The audio quality is also clear to make sure that every word uttered by the teacher is heard loud and clear.
Masterclass doesn’t provide a certificate of completion, since it is still in its early stages. However, you will receive an email that proves that you completed a training course from the website. Satisfying as it may sound, the email that you will receive amounts to nothing because by the end of the day, a diploma or certificate is what matters to most employers. Nevertheless, having to experience being mentored by world-class talents and geniuses, is an experience that only Masterclass can provide.
- Learn different crafts and skills from famous personalities who excel in different fields, like Gordon Ramsay, Helen Mirren, Steve Martin and more.
- Masterclass lessons are taught by renowned celebrities which ensures the quality.
- Masterclass is pricier compared to Udemy at $15/month which is billed annually.
- Most courses on Masterclass are within the creative field, like writing, acting and more.
Because it is free, most people flock Alison.com. As a matter of fact, the website is proud to inlude the number of their graduates on their homepage, which is at 2 million at the moment. If you are looking for sites similar to Udemy where you can learn a new skill, Alison is not a bad choice. As a matter of fact, the site is very popular because of the free and diverse courses it offers. Different topics are tackled on Alison, like Health, Math, Humanities and even Language.
Alison.com earns its funds from the advertisements on its homepage, which is the reason why it is free. The site is generally not well-recommended to those who gets distracted by ads, and prefers the typical classroom setup. The courses on Alison are in the form of presentation slides, which deviates from the usual video lessons on other websites.
Alison.com has a lot of interesting topics and courses to choose from. However, due to the module-based method of learning, it is not advisable if you easily get tired of reading. This is on top of the ads that appear every time you click the “Next” button to switch to the next presentation slide. The reviews about the courses are decent, considering that they are free for everybody. However, the completion certificates and diplomas are available from the website at an extra cost, ranging from $13 to $83.
- Available in different languages like Hindi, Russian, Chinese and French
- Unlike Udemy, the courses on Alison.com are free.
- The certificates and diplomas are not free.
- The payment for the ads removal fee is only valid for one year.
Skillshare is the site to go if you want to gain new skills in Photoshop, photography, bartending and more. The site offers some of its lessons for free, while most videos available if you subscribe to the monthly plan. Aside from learning, Skillshare also supports freelance educators, and gives them a chance to sell their lessons to the world.
While there are some lessons that are available for free, they are very limited. However, the site offers a 2 month free trial, which grants unlimited access to all lessons for free. Once the trial expires, you will need to subscribe to a monthly subscription for $10/month.
The only downside of this service, is that they will not provide any certificate of completion once the training is done. However, you can add the project to your portfolio, and use it to add more credibility to your credentials.
- Skillshare is available on mobile with its app version.
- Gives its users the chance to earn extra by selling their lessons.
- Quality control is not prioritized, resulting in poor video quality on some videos.
Lynda, or commonly known as LinkedIn Learning offers different types of courses, and has three categories which are “Business,” “Higher Education,” and “Government.” Each categories has their own courses that were submitted by Lynda instructors from around the world. From software development to fashion and interior design, you will surely find your interest for sure.
On the other hand, Lynda is not entirely free because you will need to subscribe to its monthly service. However, it provides a 1 month free trial for users to be able to test the water first. The free trial will allow users to access all Lynda courses for free for an entire month. However, once it expires, you will be required to provide your billing information to continue using it.
Instructors can also earn from Lynda by sharing their lesson online. They will then earn, every time a student enroll to their class.
- Videos on Lynda can be played with various speeds.
- Provides completion certificates after every course.
- Lynda doesn’t allow users to leave reviews about a specific lesson after completion.
Coursera is probably the site that comes close to Udemy in-terms of credibility and content. The site is affiliated with different international colleges and universities. Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Imperial College of London are just some of the organizations affiliated with Coursera. These organizations are the ones that provides the discussion which ensures the credibility of the lessons.
Coursera offers more than three thousand courses, and you can join for free. It also provide a video of the lessons in 720p, 1080p and even 4K resolution which is available on some videos.
Cousera provides free and paid courses to users who want to learn. There are some courses that anyone can take for free, but will have to pay for the certificate of completion. This is an optional service provided by Coursera to its free users. The certificates are accepted globally because they have the name of the university attached to it. On the other hand, the paid courses have much variation compared to the free ones. However, you won’t need to pay a separate fee for the certificate or diploma because it will be included to the training fee.
- Coursera provides completion certificates which are accepted by companies worldwide.
- Coursera also provides great university style teaching-approach towards students.
- The forum section lacks moderation, where anybody can heavily criticize anyone who asks a question.
Learning online is all good and fine. However, in order to do so, you must devote your time at home or where a computer is available. This restriction is not convenient because it means that you will have to plan your schedule ahead every time. It will cause you to miss out on other appointments, and other activities. That is why it is much recommended to take your lessons on the go. However, most e-learning platforms don’t allow offline viewing which is a hassle. However, you can overcome this obstacle by using AceThinker Video Keeper. This robust tool is capable of fetching any video from any of the Udemy similar sites mentioned above. The tool can download videos in various resolutions like 480p, 720p, 1080p and 4K resolution. Aside from that, it has a unique “Detect” feature that can automatically download a video without copying the URL by simply streaming it from its website.
Step1 Install AceThinker Video Keeper
To download the installer of AceThinker Video Keeper, you can click one of the download buttons above that suits your operating system. You can launch the installer immediately after download, and then follow the installation wizard that will appear. The main-interface of Video Keeper will appear at the end of the installation process.
Step2 Download the Educational Video
To download a video automatically, click the “Detect” tab. From the built-in web browser, visit one of the websites mentioned above like Skillshare.com, where you want download a video from. From the website, you can click the video that you want to download and then click the “Enable Detector” button. Finally, play the video from the browser and a notification window will pop-up, saying that the video was added to the download queue.
Step3 Check the Video and Watch It
To check the video, click the “Download” tab and wait for the status bar to reach 100%. After that, the video will be moved to the “Completed” section and you can watch the video directly by right-clicking on it and clicking the “Preview” button.
- Download 20 videos at once with Video Keeper.
- Video Keeper can add a video to the download queue automatically by just playing it.
- The converter feature can only process 30% of the total video time under the free version.
- Free version can only record 2 minutes of screen activity.