PowerPoint is a helpful Microsoft product that is used for presentations for the purpose of communicating with your audience. Depending on your approach, you may want to add a video in your PowerPoint presentation for a greater visual impact and entertaining audiences at the same time. One easy and simple way to make your PowerPoint presentation improvised and interactive is by adding a video from YouTube. Generally, there are two effective methods to insert YouTube video into PowerPoint. You may add a video online through a YouTube link or the embedding code. This is in favor of presenters who have a strong internet connection. On the other hand, you can download the video and add it to your presentation for offline playing. Therefore, you’ll be able to view the video without worrying about the interruption. If you want to learn how this is done, scroll down and read through the rest of the article.
The first way is by adding YouTube videos online using the video link. If your PowerPoint runs on Microsoft version 2010 or above, you will be able to insert YouTube videos in a simple and easy manner. Microsoft PowerPoint from version 2010 is incorporated with a built-in tool, which lets you add a video directly from YouTube. Although this procedure is fast and easy, it requires a reliable internet connection, and there’s no way for you to customize the video. Anyway, here’s a guide on how to out YouTube video in PPT.
How to add YouTube video online
- Visit the official page of YouTube and search for the video that you wish to add on your presentation. Then, copy the link from the URL box of your browser.
- Now, open the PowerPoint and choose the slide where you want to specifically place the video.
- Once decided, switch to the “Insert” tab and click “Video” section at the upper right side of the interface then select “Online Video”. A window then will show up.
- Under the YouTube section, paste the link into the address bar. Click the search button to let the program search and detect the video.
- From the search results displayed by YouTube, select the thumbnail of the target video, and click the “Insert” button at the bottom of the interface. After you put YouTube video in PowerPoint slide, you can adjust the size of the video just like what you’d normally do with image.
Another method that lets you add YouTube videos online is through the help of the embedding code. This is an advanced way of adding YouTube videos onto the presentation. This means you have complete control over the appearance and playback of the video. Using this method, you’ll be able to customize the attributes of the video by adding API parameters into the code. You can adjust the size of the video, decide the start and finish time of the playback, and many more. To find out how to embed YouTube video in PPT, please be guided with the steps given below.
Add YouTube video using the embedding code
- Open your web browser and visit YouTube‘s official website. Look for the video you wish to add in your presentation and play it.
- Press the “Share” button underneath the video then select “Embed”.
- Copy the iframe link completely and launch the PowerPoint. Select the target slide and go to “Insert” tab. Click the “Video” section located at the upper right portion then choose “Online Video” from the selection.
- Add the code into the “From a Video Embed Code” address field. Prior inserting the video, you may input some parameters for customization.
- Once you are done customizing the parameters, click the “Insert” icon to apply the parameters according to your desired playback experience.
TIPS: If you want to learn some of the parameters used for customizing embedded YouTube video, you may refer to the available YouTube parameters here.
If you want to embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint presentation. Or be able to play the video when the internet access doesn’t exist or the internet connection is unstable, you can download the YouTube video first and then insert it as a local video clip. As most YouTube videos are in FLV and MP4 format while the default FLV and MP4 YouTube videos are not compatible with PowerPoint, you will have to convert YouTube video to PowerPoint highly compatible WMV format for smooth insertion. It seems a little hard, right? No need to be confused! With the all-in-one video downloader and converter – AceThinker Video Keeper, all tasks become as easy as A-B-C. It not only allows you to download any video from YouTube but also enables you to convert downloaded video to WMV format so you can easily embed any YouTube video in any of the PowerPoint versions from 2003 to 2016. You can download the free trial below and follow the steps to download and add YouTube video to PowerPoint for offline presentation.
Step1 Download and Install Video Downloader
First, please download the video downloader program and install it on your computer.
Try It Free
Step2 Download YouTube Video to Your Computer
Now you can open the desired YouTube video wish to embed into your PowerPoint presentation in a browser you and copy the video URL. Go to the Video Keeper’s main interface and click the Paste URL button on the top left corner.
Step3 Convert YouTube Video to PowerPoint Supported WMV
After the downloading is completed, you can click on the Downloaded tab to find the video and then click Convert and select WMV as the output format to convert the downloaded YouTube video to PowerPoint friendly WMV format. PowerPoint 2013 and 2016 well supports AVI, MP4, MOV, MPG, MPEG, SWF, WMV, and M4V. For PowerPoint 2010, compatible video formats include AVI, SWF, MPEG, WMV, and MPG. MP4 and MOV are compatible when QuickTime is installed. And for PowerPoint 2007 and previous versions, only AVI, WMV, MPG, and MPEG video formats are supported. For more info about PowerPoint supported video and audio formats, you can refer to this
NOTE: You can then create a folder on your computer hard drive to save the PowerPoint presentation and move the YouTube video you want to insert into it to the same folder. No matter you’re using Microsoft PowerPoint 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, or 2003, you will be able to insert the YouTube video to your PPT presentation as a local video. Simply go to the ribbon and click Insert > Video > Video on My PC and then select the converted YouTube video to be inserted.
That’s it! You’ve embedded an offline YouTube video into your PowerPoint presentation. As long as the video remains in the same folder as the PowerPoint project, it can be set for an automatic play or play only when you click on it as the presentation occurs.
As you see, there are different ways to insert a YouTube video into a PowerPoint presentation. If you have a good internet connection, you can try those easy and fast ways to add simple links or embedding codes. But if you want to embed YouTube videos into PPT and be able to play and view the videos even when there is no internet connection, then download YouTube video first and then add it as a local video file is recommended. Just get through the better way for you to insert YouTube video clips for a more dynamic and engaging PowerPoint presentation.