Audacity is an audio recorder that resembles the interface of a sound mixer. The tool produces sound quality audio recordings, making it a popular choice among other recorders. However, there are certain things about the tool that does not satisfy its users. The interface of Audacity, which houses different buttons that can confuse even regular users. Also, the buttons are hard to recognize because they are too technical to start with. That is why many users are looking for Audacity alternativesAudacity is an audio recorder that resembles the interface of a sound mixer. The tool produces sound quality audio recordings, making it a popular choice among other recorders. However, there are certain things about the tool that does not satisfy its users. The interface of Audacity, which houses different buttons that can confuse even regular users. Also, the buttons are hard to recognize because they are too technical to start with. That is why many users are looking for Audacity alternatives for audio recording and editing. Here you will learn 10 of the best apps like Audacity that provide the same high-quality recording while keeping the operational buttons and interface as simple and understandable as possible.
First on the list of great alternatives to Audacity is Acethinker Free Audio Recorder Online. This is a web-based application that can work even if it’s not installed on a PC. Free Audio Recorder is always ready to use, as long as there is a stable internet connection. The application is a great cross-platform audio recorder because it also works on Mac devices. The tool features an advanced ID3 Tagging function that automatically tags the recording with the right information. That is why it will be useful to users who record audio on their PC. To learn how to operate the tool, follow the steps below.
Step1 Launch the tool
As mentioned above, the tool is web-based, which means that you must visit its official website. From the homepage, click the “Start Recording” button to launch the tool.
Step2 Start recording
Once the tool initializes, select the audio source by clicking the “Speaker icon” at the bottom left side of the tool then immediately start recording. It is recommended to click the “Record” button first before playing the audio that you want to record. This is to ensure that you will be able to capture the sound in its entirety.
Step3 Stop the recording process
Once done with the audio recording, click the “Stop” button, and the recording will be saved. By clicking the “Recording List” button, the recorder will switch into its built-in player. To listen to the recorded audio, select the most recent recording, which is usually the first one, and click the “Play” button.
- The tool does not need to be installed
- Can be used on both Windows and Mac
- Needs a stable internet connection to work
Acethinker Music Recorder is a desktop audio recording tool that can do more than just basic audio recording. Aside from its recording function, it also functions as an audio player, audio downloader and even has an internet radio function. This is truly an excellent tool that is a must-have on every PC device because it works on both Windows and Mac. Another unique quality of the tool is its simple graphical interface that eases the operation of the tool. That’s why it’s recommended as one of the best alternative software similar to Audacity. To learn how to get and use Acethinker Music Recorder, follow the steps below.
Step1 Install Acethinker Music Recorder
To install the tool, click one of the buttons below to download the installer. Next, run the driver on the PC and follow the instructions of the setup wizard.
Step2 Launch the tool and start recording
After installation, launch the tool immediately. Then from the main interface, select the audio input that you want to record by clicking the “Audio Jack” icon located at the lower-right side of the tool. You can now start the recording process by clicking the “Record” button.
Step3 End the recording
Once done with the recording, click the “Stop” button from the toolbar, and the recording will be saved. The tool has an advanced ID3 tagging system, which is capable of identifying the information of a song that was recorded automatically. To listen to the recorded audio, click the “Library” tab and select the audio file and click the “Play” button.
- Available on both Windows and Mac
- Has multiple essential functions other than audio recording
- Has limitations to its functions under the free trial version
Ocenaudio is an easy to use audio recorder and a great alternative to Audacity at the same time. A group of researchers from Brazil developed the tool, and since then has gained popularity there and in different countries as well. The tool has everything laid out on its main interface to avoid confusing its users. What makes this recorder stand out is that it is free. On the other hand, the company that created the tool accepts contributions to keep the tool free of charge. This is their way of getting funds to keep the tool going and for future developments as well. To learn how to use Ocenaudio, follow the steps below accordingly.
- To get the downloader for Ocenaudio, click the link here then install it on the PC.
- After installing the tool, play whatever audio you want to record. From the main interface of the tool, click the “Record” button to start the actual recording process.
- Once done with the recording, click the “Stop” button and the file will be saved.
- To listen to the recording, select it from the list of recorded audio from the left side of the tool and click the “Play” button.
- Free to download and use
- Intuitive tool interface
- Requires Windows operating system 64-bit or higher
Wavosaur is a tool that supports audio recording and editing. The tool even supports VST plugins, which give it an edge among other free audio recorders. Wavosaur is a tool that does not have an installer, which means that it does not go to the registry of the PC. It is a download and use type of recorder, which makes it portable and efficient. Wavosaur is also free to download because the company that developed it does not charge for every download. Instead, they willingly accept donations from those who have used the tool to keep it free for other users to use. To learn how to use the tool to record audio, follow the steps here.
- Click the link above to launch the official website of Wavosaur on a different tab. From the homepage, click the download button get the tool.
- From the main interface of Wavosaur, click the “Record” button which is located together with all the other recording buttons.
- To end recording with Wavosaur, click the “Stop” button and the file will be saved. To listen to the file, head to the default folder created by the tool and listen from there.
- Free to download and does not need to be installed because it is ready to use
- Confusing interface for beginners
- Too many buttons on the same location
AV Audio Editor is an all in one audio recorder that supports audio editing as well. This tool has the option to capture audio to make editing easier for its users visually. AV Audio Editor supports major audio formats like MP3, WAV, and other formats. The only downside of the tool is that it needs to be purchased to have full access to its features. On the other hand, the tool is still free to use under the free trial version. Listed below are the steps to learn to use AV Audio Editor.
- Launch the official website of the tool by clicking the link above. From there, click the download button to get the installer for AV Audio Editor.
- After a successful installation, launch the tool to reach the recording screen.
- From there, click the “Record” button to commence the recording process. On the other hand, to end the recording process, click the “Record” button again.
- Once done satisfied with the recording, click the “Keep” button and locate the file from the folder that the tool created and listen to it.
- Simple recording interface with easy to understand buttons
- Too many windows for different functions
- Licensed needs to be purchased.
The next programs like Audacity is Audiodope. The tool is primarily an audio editor but has a recording function to add to its credentials. Audiodope is a free, open-source tool that can record, edit audio files within minutes. The tool being open-sourced means that anyone can download and use it for free, even make modifications to it. However, the tool does not have all the necessary plugins installed when you install it for the first time. That is why it has an option that gives out the plugins that are compatible with Audiodope to make it work. Here are the steps to know how to use Audiodope.
- Visit the official website of Audiodope by clicking the link above, and download the installer from there.
- After Audiodope is installed, launch it to reach the main interface. From there, click the “Mic” icon and the recording toolbar will appear.
- From the toolbar, click the “Record” button to start recording. On the other hand, the “Stop” button will end the recording process and save the file.
- Listen to the recorded audio directly from Audiodope. By clicking the play button, the playback will start.
- A very straightforward tool
- Absolutely free to download and use
- The tool becomes unresponsive after being idle for too long
Another audio recording software on this list is WavePad. Like all tools mentioned here, it has standard audio editing functions like trim, cut, copy, split, and more. But what separates it from other solutions is that it also possesses advanced features like adding audio effects, normalize, reverb, or putting echo to the sound. Additionally, it also features a voice changer function, which is becoming a trend right now, especially for creating vlogs. Also, it can restore the audio of some files with the help of its noise reduction tool and click pop removal. Finally, all outputs are available to save in their available formats such as VOX, GSM, WMA, and more.
The next alternative to Audacity on this article is Logic Pro X. Unfortunately, this fantastic audio recorder is currently available for macOS devices only. But still, it is one of the most all-in-one audio editors that allow users to edit, record, mix any music file, and convert them into most-common formats quickly. Additionally, it can match the timing of your tracks with the help of its Smart Tempo function. Aside from the basic functions, it has advanced music effects like Vintage EQs, audio plugins, and more. However, one drawback of the app is that its interface might be too overwhelming for beginners.
Ardouris a DAW software that features a straightforward and intuitive audio editing interface. Regarding this, users only need to do simple steps to do clear recording since it can adjust the input gains and monitor the sound while recording. Additionally, its mixing tracks can mute, fade, and automate the audio file. Moreover, it can edit imported audio or MIDI straight from your external drives since Ardour is open-source software, some experts like Audio Engineers, Musicians, Soundtrack Editors, and Composers. Regarding this, it made sure that users can get the highest quality possible for all of the recordings they would make.
The last programs like audacity on this list is FL Studio. The developer claims that it is one of the oldest and top-notch audio recording and editing software present today. Like the other tools mentioned above, it features standard features like multi-track editing, time-stretching, adding music effects, and more. Despite that, it also offers a unique feature called the Step Mode that allows users to create their patterns and sequencing quickly. Additionally, it uses an automation recording that can capture live control movements and edit it at the same time. However, one drawback of the tool is that kind of cost pricey compared to other tools reviewed here.
There are many audio recording tools like Audacity on the internet. However, if we are talking about the most excellent software like Audacity, then the tools mentioned above are the choice. The tools above are all free to use, in terms of their recording functions. On the other hand, to use other specialized features, some tools mentioned above require the licensed version to be purchased. All tools above are useful apps like Audacity, especially Acethinker Music Recorder, with its ability to get the same sound quality as with the source. Not only that, but it can produce high-quality audio, even if the source is not good.