PDF format makes reading books easier, especially for those who can’t afford to buy a physical copy of it, because there are lots of PDF tools that you can use for reading and editing PDF files. Take, for instance, using an open source PDF editorPDF format makes reading books easier, especially for those who can’t afford to buy a physical copy of it, because there are lots of PDF tools that you can use for reading and editing PDF files. Take, for instance, using an open source PDF editor allows you to add or modify your PDF file. Also, with open source PDF software, you can save your cost by using it for free. It can be helpful when you need to enhance your PDF, split or merge its pages, set a password, and more. Moreover, you can put highlights and comment on each sentence whenever you want to point out the essential parts of its content. On the other hand, below are the list of the top 8 open source PDF editors.
In case you are looking for an all-in-one open source PDF editor, we offer you the AceThiner PDF Writer. This tool allows you to do almost anything on your PDF file because you can split and merge pages, add annotations, put highlights and comments, and convert PDF to a different file format, set images, and lots more for free. In addition, this tool is so easy to navigate, because it only requires you a few clicks to do whatever you want on your PDF, and it already shows the editing tools needed for customizing your PDF file on the main interface of the tool. Moreover, you can put security on your self-made PDF and put permission whenever you want someone to open your file, and it is useful, mainly when the record contains confidential information. To know how to use this tool, below are the easy steps on how to use it.
Step1 Get the PDF Writer installer
Go to the official website of AceThinker PDF Writer to download the app. Also, you can use the “Download” buttons to get the app quickly. Then, install the tool by following its provided steps for the installation.
Try It for Free
Step2 Launch the app and open a PDF
Next, after you install the tool, launch it and open the PDF file by going to the “File” menu, and choose “Open” and choose the PDF file that you want to edit. To start editing your PDF file, select the “Edit” section, then go to the “Content Editing” on the rightmost part of the tool where you can edit the text of your PDF files. From there, you can change the format, font size, and colors, also the alignment of the text.
Step3 Finish editing PDF
Once you are done, you can end editing your PDF file by saving it. Go to the “File” menu and choose “Save” or “Save as,” then select the file location for your PDF.
Libre Office is a well-known open-source PDF editor because of its versatility to any Microsoft Office formats like DOCX, PPT, PPTX documents, and more. This tool is a graphical editor that can draw shapes, straight and curved objects, and polygons because of its editing tools. Also, Libre Office can not only edit your PDF file, but also allows you to create informative flowcharts, photos albums, and brochures. To understand more about this tool, see the steps below on how to use this tool.
- First, visit the Libre Office official website, and click “Download” to get the app’s installer.
- Then, proceed on installing the tool by following the installation guide.
- Next, run the tool, and open the PDF file by clicking the “Open File” button.
- Then, go to the file location of the PDF and click “Open” to start editing your PDF file.
- Once you open the file, you can start editing your PDF file by using the enhancement tool that you can see from the leftmost part of the tool’s interface.
- Also, you can add images and text by using the tool from the upper part of the interface.
- It supports Microsoft Office formats
- You can add annotations on your PDF file
- There is no cloud storage
Inkscape is a graphical vector editor that can also use for editing PDF files. This open-source software is a powerful text tool that you can use for enhancing PDF documents, especially when you want to split pages, put annotations, add comments, and more. Also, you can also insert images if you wish your PDF file to look more informative and more precise. See the guidelines below to know how to use the tool.
How to use Inkscape
- To start using the tool, go to the official site of Inkscape and click the “Download” button.
- Then, choose the platform that you are using if it is Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
- After that, proceed on installing by following the installation wizard.
- After installation, launch it, and go to the “File” menu and select “Open.” From there, locate and open the file that you want to edit.
- You can start enhancing your PDF by using the editing tools from the leftmost part of the tool. You can draw lines, shapes, change colors, put 3D objects, and more.
- Lastly, you can save your edited PDF file by clicking the diskette icon, which is the “Save” button. Then choose the file location from where you want to keep your file.
- It is free to use PDF editor
- Lots of editing features that you can use to enhance PDF file
- The tool’s design looks old
PDFedit is an open-source PDF editor and library that you can strongly use for enhancing your PDF documents, and it can also be used as a PDF reader. Also, while you are editing your PDF, this tool knows what precisely the sections, phrases, or words that you want to change. Furthermore, you can put images, add texts, and also delete information from your PDF file. For more understanding, keep on reading below to see the steps on how to use PDFedit.
PDFedit User Guide
- First, visit PDFedit website and download the tool by clicking the “Download” button.
- After download, launch the tool and proceed on installing.
- Once installed, launch the app and open the PDF file by clicking the “File” menu and choosing “Open.”
- Then, select the file, and click the “Open” button from the new tab.
- You can use the editing tools from the upper part of the app’s interface. You can put text, add images, put annotations, and more. You can also highlight the relevant section of the paragraph on your PDF file.
- Once you are done editing your PDF file, click on the “Save” button, located at the upper leftmost part of the tool.
- After you do that, it will show you a new window from where you can save your edited PDF file.
- You can convert PDF file in this tool
- It allows you to put password on your PDF
- Several feature of this tool are not working
Apache OpenOffice is another open-source PDF reader and editor that most companies, businesses are using nowadays. Also, editing your PDF file in this tool becomes more manageable, because it has a built-in spell checker that can detect typographical errors. Furthermore, you can add annotations and comments on your file, especially when you are explaining something, and you want to be precise. Besides, you can save your edited PDF file into different available file formats. Moreover, below are the simple steps of this tool.
Quick Guide for Apache OpenOffice
- To get the installer of this app, go to the Apache OpenOffice official website.
- Then, choose one of the packages of the tool, that also serves as the downloader of the app. After that, continue installing the tool.
- Once installed, launch OpenOffice, and go to the “File” menu and choose “Open.”
- Then, look for the PDF file that you want to modify and open it.
- After you open a PDF file to OpenOffice, you can start editing your file like adjusting the size, putting essential images, and you can also use the editing tools from the bottom part of the tool’s interface.
- When you are done and satisfied on editing your PDF file, go to the “File” menu and click “Save” and choose your preferred desired location to keep the edited PDF.
- You can also click “CTRL+S” on your keyboard to quickly save it.
- You can easily create information charts
- It has lots of options to do on editing your PDF file
- It takes a lot of time before it opens a PDF file
PDFSam is an open-source PDF editing tool that specializes in splitting and merging files, that’s also what “Sam” means from the tool’s name. Also, this tool supports converting PDF to Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Image, HTML, and more. Furthermore, this tool lets you put a password, watermark, create a certificate, and other means to secure your PDF file. Moreover, just like the other PDF editor, you can put images on your text file to add a visual explanation of the PDF. However, you need to pay and activate the tool to access its other unique features fully. On the contrary, we will show you the steps on how to use this tool below.
How to use PDFsam
- Go to the PDFsam website to download the installer, then proceed on installing by following the installation steps of this tool.
- After installing the tool, launch it, and click “Open” from the file menu, then locate the PDF file that you desire to edit or customize and click the “Open” button.
- To modify your PDF file, use the toolbar from the top part of the tool, you can Create, Convert, Edit, Insert, etc.
- Also, you can use the editing toolbar that you can see under the main toolbar. From there, you can edit your PDF file like putting highlights, and comments per sentences.
- Once you are done customizing your PDf file, go to the file menu and choose “Save as,” and choose where you want to save your PDF.
- You can easily split and merge PDF pages
- It supports lots of editing tools to use for customizing PDF
- It lacks customer support
PDFArchitect is an open-source PDF editor, which also has a premium version. The tool can primarily edit text and images from a PDF document, and also has an added converter feature. PDFArchitect doesn’t require any registration if you want to use its basic editing features like adding notes, trimming, and copying, and pasting the text. However, there is a free-trial duration if you want to use other premium features of the tool, and once it ends, then you will have to subscribe to the premium version. The tool is available on Windows 7, 8, and 10 at the moment and is not compatible with another operating system like macOS.
- Visit the official website of PDFArchitect and click the download button from the homepage.
- Launch the installer from the PC and then follow the instruction of the setup wizard.
- After installation, launch the tool and from the main-interface, open the PDF that you want to edit.
- From the editing panel, choose the options that you want to apply to the PDF document.
- After editing, apply the changes made to the PDF document by clicking the “File” tab and then hit “Save.”
- Lightweight PDF editing tool
- Considerable long trial duration
- Needs Microsoft Word for PDF to Word conversion feature to work
Lastly, we have Scribus. This is an absolutely free open source desktop publishing tool that was released in 2001. The tool is compatible with various operating systems like Windows, Mac, Linux, Haiku, and more. The tool is more of a publisher but works fine as a PDF editor too. It is capable of producing clear-quality PDF pages by utilizing its different editing features. The tool offers lots of features not only for PDF but as other documents as well. This is the reason why the tool is one of the leading free publisher tools that you can use. To learn how to use this tool, follow the steps below.
- Download the installer of Scribus from its official website.
- Launch the installer on the PC and then proceed to the actual installation process.
- Start working on your PDF page by using the different publishing options from the editing panel.
- Once done creating the PDF, save it on the PC by clicking the “Save” button.
- Able to create various PDF pages
- Cannot be used to edit existing PDF documents.
All of the said open-source PDF editors above are tools that you can use for your PDF file. They can be used as a PDF reader and PDF editor, and you can also use them for editing PDF documents. However, you might have a problem using those because some of them have an outdated interface, the featured are quite limited, and some are not advisable for beginners because of its sophisticated functions. Contrarily, AceThinker PDF Writer lets you customize any PDF you want and is quite easy to operate. If you are unsatisfied with those free open source PDF editing tools, just try AceThinker PDF Writer.