Everyone knows how difficult it can be to mirror iPhone and iPad screens because of the limitations put in place by Apple themselves. While their devices now stream to PC through Airplay, there are no good options for TVs. Most casting apps that work with TVs require you to use an Apple TV, and only a handful work on non-Apple TVs. Roku decided to do something about the problem by developing a method to connect iPad to Roku so that you can mirror it to your TV. If you own both an iPhone and a Roku, then it’s simple to mirror iPhone to RokuEveryone knows how difficult it can be to mirror iPhone and iPad screens because of the limitations put in place by Apple themselves. While their devices now stream to PC through Airplay, there are no good options for TVs. Most casting apps that work with TVs require you to use an Apple TV, and only a handful work on non-Apple TVs. Roku decided to do something about the problem by developing a method to connect iPad to Roku so that you can mirror it to your TV. If you own both an iPhone and a Roku, then it’s simple to mirror iPhone to Roku and project all of your favorite music, games, videos, and pictures straight to your TV screen. Here are the best methods for how to mirror iPhone/iPad to Roku.
Given that there are so many reasons you might want to mirror an iPhone or iPad to TV, we’ve used the iPhone in particular as an example and put together a guide to connecting an iPhone to Roku and use Roku Screen Mirroring. There are two things you need to do before starting.
How to use Roku Screen Mirroring
- First things first, make sure that the iPhone and Roku are connected to the same wireless network. You can check and verify the network settings through the Roku receiver.
- Then, you have to ensure that mirroring is set up through the Roku receiver.
- Open Settings > System > Screen Mirroring on the Roku. Verify that “Prompt” or “Always Allow” is chosen for screen mirroring.
- Download the Roku app through the App Store. Open up the app after installing it and accept the presented Terms and Services. The Roku will start looking for a receiver.
- After a device is found, connect to it by tapping on it.
There are some other settings that can help to connect a Roku and iPhone. The main one is to use the Photos+ app, which is what we’ll look at now. This is a good photo browsing app integrated with maps and metadata. Meanwhile, here’s a simple guide to use this app to mirror iPhone to Roku.
Steps to use Photos+
- Start the process by tapping on Photos+.
- Choose whether you want to mirror photos, music, videos, or screensaver.
- Tap the media you want to stream to the TV.
- The TV should show the message “Play on Roku” before opening the chosen media and playing it.
One way the Roku allows you to mirror screens is through the Screensaver. This lets you add your photos to a screensaver slideshow that is then played on the TV. Therefore, you should see your iPhone photos on a much wider view. On that note, here are simple steps you should follow to be able to mirror your iPhone to Roku.
- Start out by tapping Screensaver on the media selection screen and choosing Screensaver.
- Use the dropdown menu to choose the source you want to get the photos for the screensaver.
- Tap the photos to add to the screensaver. Each photo will have a checkmark on it. Tap on “Next” when you’re done.
- Choose the Speed and Style of the Screensaver to adjust how the photos appear and then tap on “Set Screensaver”.
- Confirm the new screensaver or tap on Cancel to start from the beginning.
- The new screensaver should mirror to the TV.
As we mentioned before, there are only a handful of apps for mirroring screens that are compatible with Apple. AceThinker Mirror is one of the few, and one of the best. This app provides an alternative method to connecting an iPhone to Roku. AceThinker Mirror is a third-party app that is fully compatible with almost any device, no matter the make. It works perfectly with computers, mobile phones, and particularly Android TVs. Here’s how you can use AceThinker Mirror to connect iPhone to Roku;
Step1 Download AceThinker Mirror on PC and iPhoneInstall the app on your Phone and PC through our handy download buttons.
Step2 Connect iPhone to PC and start mirroringConnect the PC and phone to the same wireless network. Grab a HDMI cable while you’re at it. You’ll need it later. Use the blue “M” button on the iPhone app to begin mirroring screens. Choose the name of your PC from the menu and tap on “Phone Screen Mirroring” to get started.
Step3 Mirror PC to TVSwipe up to open up the control panel and tap on “Screen Mirroring”. Tap on the name of your PC to start mirroring. Use the HDMI cable to connect your PC to your TV. Tune the TV to the HDMI cable setting and your phone screen should appear.
Identified issues that you might encounter while mirroring
As Roku is a relatively new piece of technology when it comes to mirroring screes on television, there is certainly room for improvement. Here are some of the common problems you may face;
- Videos can take some time to load. Just keep waiting patiently.
- There may be some lag between the audio and the video of the video during streaming.
- The mirroring function may stop intermittently. Make sure that the screen is turned on.
- Mirroring sometimes doesn’t start at all when you try to stream iPad to Roku. Just restart the iPad and the Roku and try again.