As we all know, QuickTime Player is one of the pre-installed apps that comes with every Mac and it has been the default media player for Mac devices. If you own a modern Mac running Mac OS X 10.6 or higher, you will find that there is a screen recorder built-in the QuickTime Player X app. This QuickTime recorder allows you to easily record anything displayed on your Mac screen. No matter you want to capture some gameplay footages or show somebody how to use a program with video tutorials, you can make the screen recording using QuickTime without spending a dime.
However, when doing the QuickTime screen recording, you will find that you only get the screen – no audio. What about the situation when you need to record the audio simultaneously on your Mac? Can QuickTime record and audio at the same time? Now follow the instructions below to use QuickTime screen recorder to capture your Mac’s screen with audio with no hassles.
QuickTime player cannot record the Mac screen with the sound that the computer is producing. In order to make QuickTime screen recording with audio, you need to install an audio recording helper. You can simply install Soundflower, a freeware that can help you route your Mac’s audio back into QuickTime so as to record it.
How to Use QuickTime
- Download and install Soundflower on your Mac. It will ask you to reboot the system after the installation.
- Launch QuickTime Player and navigate to File in the menu bar, and then choose New Screen Recording to start a recording. (You can also use the shortcut Control + Command + N to get the screen recording option.)
- The screen recording window will then pop up and you can configure the video capture settings.
- Click the downward arrow that is located on the right side of the Record button to select an audio input. Here you can select Soundflower 2ch as the audio input source so as to get the audio from Mac.
- Click the “Record” button on the toolbar and click the screen to record “Full Screen” or drag the frame to go to “Region” mode. After that, click the “Start Recording” button to initiate recording.
- When the video is done, click the “Stop recording” button on the menu bar and save the file.
- The video will appear after ending the recording process. Play the video from the default player.
In this way, you will capture video and audio simultaneously in one recording using QuickTime Player. Any sound made by your Mac, including notifications from the system will be recorded. It’s not hard to capture screen with audio using QuickTime, right?
As QuickTime screen recording with audio needs the help of third-party programs and the recording functions are quite limited. Thus, many people are looking for a better Mac screen recorder that can record screen with audio simultaneously with more features. Here AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro for Mac is recommended as the best alternative to QuickTime screen recorder to capture Mac screen with sound easily. With it, you can record anything on your Mac screen along with sound from the system, microphone or both simultaneously. Besides, with the built-in editing functions, you are able to edit and annotate your video during the recording process. Moreover, it allows you to convert recorded videos to all popular formats like MOV, MP4, AVI, WMV, 3GP, FLV, etc. so you can play and share them anywhere you like. Just download the program and you can get all the recording tasks done following its intuitive and friendly interface. Below are the steps to use Acethinker Screen Grabber Pro for Mac.
Step1 Get the installer and set it up
To download the installer, click the download buttons below and install it afterwards. Once set up is finished, run the tool to enter the home screen.
Try it for Free
Step2 Start the Recording
On the interface of the tool, select what mode to use, “Region” allows you to record a specific part of the screen while the “Full Screen” mode covers the entire desktop screen. Once decided on the recording mode, click the “Record” button to start the process. To add additional content to your recording, you can click the “Draw” button to add notes and other things to your video. Click the “Camera” icon to capture screenshots.
Step3 End the Recording Process
Once done with the recording, click the “Stop” button to save the video. The “Preview Panel” will appear after you click the “Stop” button, and the video will be available for playing. To locate the video, click the “Folder” icon.
Another great alternative for QuickTime screen recording with sound is the free online screen recorder, which is available for both Mac and Windows users. It allows you to record screen activity together with the sound from system, microphone or both. With this free online app, you can record either the whole screen or just a part and save the screencast in your preferred format like MOV, MP4, AVI, WMV and many more. As it’s an online app, you don’t need to install it on your computer. But if it’s the first time you use it, you will need to install a launcher.
Step1 Launch the tool
To access the tool, visit the official website. Then click the “Start Recording” button to open the main interface of the tool. Once the tool initializes, the toolbar along with the frame will appear. Drag the frame to the part that you want to record and click the “Record” button.
Step2 Add Annotations
While recording is in progress, you can add shapes and make notes to the video by clicking the “Pen” button which is placed on the floating toolbar.
Step3 Launch the tool
To finish recording, click the “Stop” button and the video file will be saved. The “Preview window” will appear after clicking the “Stop” button. Click the “Save” button to keep the file.
Icecream Screen Recorder is another tool that lets you record your Mac screen with audio. This is a simple tool with lets you capture and save your screen activities with ease. Icecream Screen Recorder works for both Windows and MacOS, and the interface is just the same for both operating system. With a highly intuitive interface, less experienced users will surely have no problem operating this tool. However, there are limitations for the free version of the tool, like the maximum recording time is only 3 minutes. Below are the steps on how to use Icecream Screen Recorder on Mac.
How to Use Icecream Screen Recorder
- Go to the official website of Icecream Screen Recorder to install the Mac version of the software.
- Once installation is finished, run the program to reach the home screen.
- On the launch screen, select the “Capture Video” option.
- Located on the tool bar are the different options for recording. Drag the frame to cover the specific parts that you want to record and click the “Record” button once ready.
- The “Draw” button allows you to add annotations and other figures while the recording process is ongoing. Click it from the toolbar below the frame.
- To finish the recording process, click the “Stop” button and the video will be saved.
- To play the video, simply go to the “Play list” of the tool and click the “Play” button.