Matroska video files or MKV is made as an open-source video format that anyone can use for personal use for free. MKV is not a dedicated video format, but it can be a container of video, audio, and other multimedia formats. It means that MKV can contain raw videos from a camera in H.264 form and audio files such as AAC, MP3, WMA, etc. In fact, MKV has been known to multimedia artists because the data in it can’t be outdated. Besides, MKV is compatible with almost any device as of today. That is why many users tend to convert videos to MKV files. We will discuss below the best MKV converter online and software for you to use in the latter part.
What is MKV file?
Just a heads up, even though MKV files look like a video and audio compression, it is not. MKVs are multimedia containers containing audio, video, and SRT files in one file, even in different formats. An excellent example of this is MKV can have MP3, AAC, and H.264 in it. Files within MKV are easy-to-use, adaptive, and cannot be outdated. So even in a long time, MKVs can still be used without corrupting the files within it. However, not all devices can play MKVs. You will need a strong media player to play MKV files.
Best free online MKV converter
Platform: Web browser
The first tool on our list to convert any videos to MKV is the AceThinker Online Video Converter. This web-based video converter only requires you to upload your local videos from your computer and turn it to any video formats you prefer. Another good thing is you can edit your videos by trimming it, adding effects, adjusting the volume, putting a watermark, and more before converting it. Moreover, this tool can add multiple files and turn them after the first one finishes. All of these features are accessible within a single online tool for free. Also, below is the list of how to convert MKV.
- First, visit the official website of AceThinker Online Video Converter. Click the “Select files to start” button within its homepage to upload the video you want to convert.
- After uploading, click the “Format” list button and choose MKV.
- Then, click the “Convert” button at the right part of the converter to start the conversion process.
- Once done, the video will be saved to the download folder you set. The tool will open the folder automatically for you to watch the video.
- It can extract the audio from a video by saving it as an MP3 format.
- It has presets of formats that are compatible with different devices.
- It can only convert and download one video at a time.
Best MKV video converter software
Platform: Windows and Mac
Suppose you are looking for an MKV converter for Windows 10 and Mac. We highly recommend you to use the AceThinker Video Master. This tool can turn any videos to MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, FLV, and more. It can also extract the audio from a video and save it as MP3, WMA, AAC, etc. Besides, it has presets that provide formats from devices like HTC, Samsung, iPhone, Motorola, LG, and lots more. Aside from converting videos, Video Master can also edit videos before converting. You can rotate, split, add segments, add filters and effects, watermarks, audio, and more. There are many things you can do on your videos with this tool, thanks to its unique features. You can start converting videos by clicking its “Add files” button, or you can drag and drop the video on the tool. Then, since we are converting videos to MKV, choose the MKV file in the format section. After that, click the “Convert All” button to begin saving the videos. As easy as that.
Try it for Free
- You can merge multiple videos into one file with this tool.
- It lets you put subtitles on the video before you convert it.
- It can only convert 5-minute videos with its free version.
Alternative tool for converting MKV
Platform: Windows and Mac
Another MKV converter for Windows 10 is the Freemake Video Converter. It also support formats like MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV, and more. Besides, this tool can get the sound of the video and save it to audio file formats. In addition, Freemake lets you add subtitles to the movie that you are converting. Excellent when you want to turn the film to MKV to play it on your flat-screen TV. Another good thing about Freemake is you can cut, join, and rotate clips easily. If you are a video blogger, you can also use it to convert and upload the video directly to YouTube.
- This tool can burn videos to DVD.
- It can also turn videos compatible with console gaming like PS4 and Xbox.
- It takes some time before the conversion is finished.
Extra tips for converting MKV videos
ConvertFiles is another MKV converter online that can save convert videos most easily. Not only videos, but it can also convert other files like audio, text, images, PDF, and more. It can act as an all-in-one file converter that you can use for free. You can also turn the uploaded videos in this online app into a downloadable file and be sent to your email after converting it. It is excellent when you need to convert short videos quickly. We are also going to simplify its steps below for you to use this tool.
- To start using this tool, you can click this link to visit its page.
- From there, click on the “Browse” button to upload your local video.
- After that, choose the “Output format” MKV, and click the “Convert” button to start converting.
- Once done, it will save the video from its default file location.
Conclusion and comparison of each tool
All articles mentioned above can convert any video to MKV easily. Of course, you can use these tools whenever you need to convert MKV to MP4. Each app has different features like built-in editing features, adding watermarks, subtitles, and more. Now, let’s see the chart below to compare each tool easily.
|AceThinker Online Video Converter||AceThinker Video Master||Freemake Video Converter|
|Video settings||Resolution, Bitrate, Frame Rate||Subtitle language, GPU Acceleration, Output folder, Resolutions, Bitrate, Frame rate||Presets, Frame size, Video Codec, Audio Codec, Bitrate, Frame rate|
|Price||Free||$29.95 for 1 year PRO license||$59.95|