Launched by famous Nintendo, the Wii model is a gaming device (for home users) that is especially favored by gaming fans. The console packs some handy features and modes like remote control and connecting unit. Besides using it for video games, you may also use it to play DVDs as well. While it doesn't play the disc right away, there are some alternative ways to play DVD on Wii. To make it simpler, you can convert DVD to Nintendo Wii supported video formats and then play the video on Wii smoothly. Read the instructions below and enjoy your DVD movies on Wii.
Play DVD on Wii Using HBC (Homebrew Channel)
Even though official usage instructions don't support the playing of a DVD on Wii, you may use HomeBrew Channel to render the disk on this bright blue drive. This solution is invented by some Wii coders to enable users to unlock their console and play DVDs. If you want to go this route, you have to install the H.B. video player or Wii unlocker. Then copy the files into the S.D. card and then utilize the Channel to enable the 2-sec patch. Once this is activated, you have to enter the Wii Mplayer application from the Channel, enter the DVD and allow Wiff to play your DVD.
Even though this solution appears to be easy, you’ll have to meet specific requirements before following the actual connection steps:
- A Wii model with a 3.2 system mode
- An SD card reader and writer
- A FAT/FAT32 modified SD card up to 2GB (due to the fact that Wii is unable to read Secure Digital High Capacity cards)
- The Twilight Hack software which is an altered Zelda game that activates the HBC Installer)
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (compatible with Wii)
- Homebrew Channel Installation programme
- A media player (MPlayer) which supports the playing of market DVDs
- A DVDX application which lets Wii read the hosted DVD
How to play DVD on a Wii/Wii U using HBC step-by-step:
There are two key steps to success--setting up HBC and then the actual DVD player. Here is how:
Step 1 Set-up the HBC channel.
- Enter the S.D. card into the reader's slot and right-click to copy the "private" section of the Twilight Hack (in your card). Here you also have to copy the HBC to "boot.dol" system file.
- Next, add the S.D. card into the console and erase the stored Zelda file using the "Wii file Manager." In case you don't have the game in advance, you may initiate a new one.
- There are two Zelda versions currently--the "RVL-RZDE-0A-0" and the second, which is "RVL-RZDE-0A-2". Both of these functions function fine, you have to ensure that you are using the appropriate hacking for each version. In the case of the -0 version, TwilightHack0 will work while for the second -2 version, the respective hack would be TwilightHack2, which are both featured in the pack.
- Head to the file manager area and then change the S.D. view. Then copy the right hack version.
- Finally, place the Zelda game disk, begin playing the game and then save this file. Once the HBC installer initiates, you can play your desired DVDs.
Once the process is done, you may access the Homebrew channel similar to any other Wii software.
Step 2 Activate the DVD Playback app
- Once the Homebrew Channel is set-up successfully, you'll need to install a third DVD player app which will let you play your DVDs on Wii.
- Look for a space that is safe and somewhere where you can set-up and copy the third-party DVD player application on your S.D. card.
- Introduce the S.D. card in the device and switch the HomeBrew channel. You will then be allowed to access two programs that are found on the card. The next step would be to play a DVD-X installer. Choose the option "Normal installation" to ensure the flawless playing of the program with no problems.
Step 3 How to run DVD on Wii
- Head to Home Brew Channel and choose Media player (MPlayer)
- Choose “DVD-Video” and then select the Title.
- Lastly, play your chosen disk.
Even though the HBC converts your video game device into a DVD player, the process has some drawbacks. Firstly, the Mplayer program comes with plenty of problems and bugs that will not allow you to enjoy all your movie disks right away. But the biggest risk is that if any step turns sour in the process, the console may get ruined.
How to Watch DVD Movies on Wii without Homebrew
Since some potential problems may arise during or after HBC installation, we have another solution to suggest in this case. This is about using a DVD to Wii converter to rip DVD clips (made at home) and converted into compatible file formats such as MP4, DivX, AVI, MOV. This is perhaps the quickest, and easiest solution as all you need to have is a top DVD ripper and an S.D. card.
Here we suggest the top DVD to Wii Converters--Video Converter Platinum, which features upgraded Wiff video modes. This will allow us to convert DVD to Wii-compatible video content without any quality reductions and then copy the DVD to the Wii-friendly SD card right away.
Step 1 Download and set-up the Video Converter
Download and set-up the Video Converter (Platinum version) on your P.C. or Mac device and then install the program to expose the home interface.
Step 2 Load your risk to begin the DVD rip process
Add the DVD you wish to convert into the DVD drive and wait until the system recognizes it—the press the "load disk" button on the upper left of the key interface.
Pick from the two available loading options, "Parser Mode" and "Navigation Mode." Once loaded, all video files available will appear on the list.
Step 3 Convert DVD to Wii-supported Videos
Check the video that you need to play and then press the drop-down menu on Profile and select among the Wii-compatible video forms (MP4, MOV, AVI, DivX). Once you do this, press the "Convert" button to rip the DIV without any quality reductions.
Step 4 Copy the files to your SD card and Play on Wii
After the conversion is complete, you may simply copy your new Wii compatible video files right onto the S.D. card. Once complete, just take off the S.D. card from your P.C., stick it in the Wii device, and then sit back and prepare to play your favorite movies on Wii.