Online videos have become an incredibly popular form of not only entertainment but online education and marketing. In today’s fast-paced world, the majority of people prefer to watch videos rather than read text-based information. Videos allow for a more creative and fun way of conveying and sharing everyday information. However, the downside of online videos is that it requires a good internet connection and thus the portability of online content is somewhat limited. To overcome this problem, online video recording tools have been developed to let you download your favorite TV shows, educational clips and tutorials and take them with you wherever you go. In this article, we have collected for you 5 different programs that will let you record high-quality videos directly from your browser and save them to your portable device. We will also briefly outline for you how each software can be used to record browser video.
With AceThinker’s Free Screen Recorder Online, capturing your favorite online videos is easier than ever before. Free Screen Record is a tool available for both Windows and Mac users. With this tool you will be able to record full-length videos in a variety of formats and save them directly to your system without having to go through additional and complicated steps. Free Screen Record features a clear and concise interface that is built for users of any level and through AceThinker’s official website you will have access to detailed explanations and helpful information regarding the software. The guidelines below will help you with using Screen Recorder Online:
Step1 Accessing Free Screen Recorder Online
Once you have your video open from your browser, in another tab open AceThinker’s Screen Recorder Online official website from the following link to access its online recording tool. Press “Start Recording” to initiate the downloading of the launcher and afterwards follow launch it to use and start recording.
Step2 Getting familiar with the recording toolbar
If installation has been successfully completed, the recording toolbar should appear on your screen. You can use the toolbar to configure your recording. Set options related to input sound and recording frame and many more.
Step3 Selecting the region to be recorded
This is an important step if you want to record the video opened in your browser without having any borders and unnecessary stuff around it. Highlight the area of your video player by dragging the edges of the frame so the highlighted area covers the video perfectly. While your video is running, you have the option of making real-time annotations throughout the clip to enhance it and modify it to your personal preference. Once your video is over, hit the “Stop” button to finish recording and have your video saved to your computer.
- Concise, easy to learn interface
- Wide range of editing tools
- Records video and audio simultaneously
- The free version has some limitations compared to the Pro version
EZvid is a powerful editing and browser recorder tool that appeals to a wide audience. Gamers can use it record gameplay footage, Companies can use it record tutorials for their workers and everyday users can use it to record video from their browsers. EzVid is completely free, and takes no time to learn to use thanks to its simple interface. A big drawback of the software however is that it does not allow you to save your recorded video to your computer directly, instead you can upload it to one of the media sharing websites. While recording, a neat little control bar is displayed with which you can easily annotate, pause or stop your recording.To learn more about how to use EzVid, refer to the steps below:
- Download and install the program by going to site of EZvid. Launch the program and on the main interface click on “Capture Screen” screen icon as illustrated below.
- To fine-tune your recording settings to specifically match the requirements of online video recording, click the “use advanced settings” option. If you are happy with the default settings, click “start capture now” straight away.
- To select the area of the screen to be captured, click on “select capture area”. Highlight the area of your video player and hit “Capture Now” to initiate the recording process.
- Completely free
- Easy to use, clear interface
- Can be used for many different purposes
- Does not let you save your recordings to your computer
- Recording duration limited to 45 minutes
Ice Cream Screen Recorder is another great tool for saving videos from online sources. Its a great web browser recorder tool that lets you capture any area of your screen which is especially useful if you want only your video to be recorded and avoid any additional distractions. IceCream Screen Recorder offers many special features that make this piece of software very versatile and highly professional. Just to mention a couple of the more unique features: built-in task scheduler, trim the recordings to your needs, add your very own watermark to your clips and many more of which you can read about on IceCream Screen Recorder’s official website.
Below you can find more information on how to use the recording tool:
- You can get a copy of the software for free from IceCream Screen Recorder’s official site.
- Once you have downloaded the program, install it by carefully following the steps described in the installation wizard.
- Once you have the program opened, in the bottom right corner you will find the settings menu. Here you can adjust the system, video and audio settings to match your recording needs. You can also set up hotkeys to provide quick access to certain features.
- Now that you have the basic settings configured, it is time to choose what part of the screen you wish to record. You can choose from 5 different modes. For capturing online videos, either the Custom area or the Area auto detection mode is recommended.
- Now you are ready to start capturing your online video. While you are recording your video, you can make real-time annotations via the “Draw” panel to add notes or simply decorate your clip.
- Captures any area of your screen
- Available for both Windows and Mac
- Trim recordings to fit your needs
- Built-in task scheduler
- The free version has some limitations
- Editing options are limited
Screencast-o-matic is a well-developed Java applet that does not require separate installation; a big advantage it has over other screen recorders on the market. It is available for both Windows and Mac. Unfortunately, the free version of this software is very limited, but the paid version is a cost effective option if you want to record videos longer than 15 minutes, be able to record in full-screen mode and do not want a watermark to be placed on your videos. The interface is very intuitive, so even a beginner will be able to figure their way out. The easy to follow steps below will give you more help with using the software:
- Visit Screencast-O-Matic’s official website and click on “Start Recording”. You will be directed to the browser screen recorder, where you can click “Launch recorder” to download the program.
- If you have downloaded the app and launched it, the recording toolbar should appear.
- Specify the section of the screen you wish to record, in the case of online videos, this should be the video player itself, and make any other necessary settings to match your preferences.
- Now you are ready to start the recording process. Hit the red “Rec” button and start playing your video from your browser.
- Once the video is finished playing, click “Done” to terminate your recording and have it saved to your computer.
- Straightforward, easy to use interface
- Various screen recording modes
- Pro version is very cost effective
- High-end editing tools
- Free version has very limited number of options
- Internet connection is required even for offline recording
OBS Studio is a powerful screen recorder that has been designed specifically for gamers, but if you want to record online videos from your browser, it will get the job done just as well. If you are not familiar with screen recording software in general, OBS Studio might not be the easiest to start out with. Its interface might seem a bit confusing and not so user-friendly and unfortunately there is not much help out there if you get stuck. OBS Studio is an open source software, meaning it is more secure as users can check the code behind it. Refer to the steps below to get a basic guide on how to use the software:
- You can download OBS Studio from OBS Studio’s official website.
- Run the installer and follow the steps in the installation wizard. You might be required to download some additional runtime components that are missing from your computer. Use the Auto-Configuration wizard to optimize the installation settings to your computer.
- The sources menu lets you choose from which inputs you wish to record video from. For recording online videos, you will have to select “Display Capture” as this mode records whatever is on your screen. You will get a “hall of mirrors” similar to the one displayed below.
- In the “Settings” menu, on the panel on the left-hand side, select “Output”. Here you will be able to set up the output folder of your recording, the quality and the file format of your recording.
- If you are satisfied with all your settings, the only thing left to do is start recording. To do this, simply hit the “Start Record” button on the right-hand side of OBS Studio’s main interface and start playing your online video from your browser.
- Available for both Windows and Mac
- Open source software, meaning the program code can be viewed and edited by anyone
- Optimized for gaming
- 100% free
- Learning to use the interface may take some time for beginners
- No editing tools
We scanned the web for various screen recording applications and went through several blogs. The one video screen recording app that popped most was the AZ Screen Recorder.Regarding this app, only one shortcoming can be linked with this application, it works on with the devices that run Android 5.0 or higher. The best thing with this application is that it’s free. If you seek access to a couple of the advanced options, you’ll need to pay some bucks for some in-app product, which is worth it by the way.
Another app with a lot of reviews is the Mobizen application. It’s got more reviews than AZ Screen Recorder’, even though it has an average rating that is lower. Despite, it is an app that looks quite solid and it’s completely free. This application is compatible with Android 4.2, so you can turn to this app if your device cannot run AZ. On their site, it seemingly easy to apply and has some additional features that could find very useful
From the list of programs above, you can see that there are a large number of tools available for free for you to record your browser videos, but choosing the one that best fits your needs might take some trial and error and experimentation. We have tried to highlight the main features of each program that distinguishes them from all the others to help your choice. However, if one ultimate free screen recorder had to be chosen, the choice would fall on AceThinker’s Free Screen Recorder Online due to its versatility, its feature packed interface and its excellent output quality.