VLC Player is a free, open-source media player, able to play almost all types of media formats available. This is the reason why it the most preferred media player by most people. Known worldwide as a great media player, few only know that it has other functions as well. One example is that one can use it to convert files into a different format. Regarding this, VLC is an excellent alternative if users would only want a basic recording feature. Aside from that, there are still other functions that it can do. Continue reading to learn how you can use VLC Player to record your screen activities. Also, we will discuss the most effective VLC record desktop alternatives in the market today.
As mentioned above, most people use VLC Player as their default media player. That is why in almost any PC, VLC Player is sure to be installed because of its functionality. Being able to play every media file format is not a feature that can be seen in many applications. Some of these applications are not even free, not like VLC Player. A hidden feature of the tool is that it can be used to record screen activities. Yes, you can use VLC Player as a screen recorder. To learn how to do it, follow these steps.
How to Use VLC Player
- All applications must be installed to a PC device to be useful. That is why first, download the installer by clicking the header above. Then run it on the PC and follow the instructions of the setup wizard.
- After installation, and you launched the tool, start the recording process. Start by clicking the “View” tab and select “Advanced Controls.”
- After you click “Advanced Controls,” a set of new buttons should have appeared on the main interface. Now click the “Media” tab and select “Open Capture Device.”
- Under the “Capture Device” tab, click the menu for “Capture mode” and select “Desktop.” Also, for smooth recording, change the value of the frame rate to ten.
- Once done with the initial settings, click the “Play” button, and the recording window will appear.
- To start the actual recording process, click the “Record” button. Minimize the recorder so that it won’t show to the actual recording.
- Once done, click the “Stop” button, and the recording process will stop.
Note: VLC Player cannot record audio, so you must record audio separately. Also, the videos will be saved in AVI format by default.
Even though VLC Player can record screen activities, there are still limitations to what it can do. That is why for a more convenient way to record your screen activities, use Acethinker Screen Grabber Pro. This is one of the most potent screen recorders, which have premium features. Unlike VLC Player, Screen Grabber Pro can record both video and audio simultaneously. This VLC screen capture saves you time and effort because you won’t have to record separate audio. Also, you can change the default save format of Screen Grabber Pro, although the default format is MP4, which is widely supported by all types of all devices. To learn how to use Screen Grabber Pro, follow these steps.
Step1 Install Screen Grabber Pro
Download the installer of Screen Grabber Pro by clicking the download buttons below. Once the download is complete, run the installer and follow the instructions on the setup wizard. After the successful installation, open the tool, and the main interface will appear. To start, click the drop-down arrow menu located next to the “Record” button and select the recording mode.
Try It Free
Step2 Start the Recording
Unlike VLC Player, which can only record in full-screen mode, Screen Grabber Pro has a “Region” mode that allows you to cover the parts of the screen that needs to be recorded. Once done selecting the recording mode, click the “Record” button, and the three seconds countdown will start. Another great feature of Screen Grabber Pro is that you can add annotations while recording is in progress. This way, you can enhance the video, especially if you are making an instructional video. Click the “Draw” button, which is located on the floating toolbar, and then different options will appear.
Step3 Save the Recording
Once satisfied with what you recorded, click the “Stop” button on the recording toolbar, and the recording process will end. The video will be saved automatically to the PC. The newly recorded video will appear on the “Preview Panel,” which shows the list of all video recordings. To watch the video directly, select it, and click the “Play” button. On the other hand, to locate the actual file, select the video, and click the “Open folder” button.
Another excellent VLC record screen alternative is Icecream Screen Recorder. With an easy to remember the name, it is one of the most popular screen recorders. Icecream Screen Recorder has been around for quite some time now, and over the years, gained its popularity. The tool has two functions, one is the screen recorder, and the other is the screenshot function. If you are looking for a screen recorder that is not only easy to use but is also visually appealing, then follow the steps below and learn how to use this tool.
How to Use Icecream Screen Recorder
- Download the installer by clicking the header or the name of the app above. Then open the installer on the PC, and follow the onscreen instructions.
- After installation, launch the tool, and you will reach its launch screen. Select “Capture Video” from the launch screen, and the recording tool will appear.
- Start by dragging the frame to fit the parts of the screen that you want to record. Once done, click the “Record” button from the toolbar.
- If you want to add annotations to the recording, click the “Draw” button, and the different options will appear.
- When you are finished with the recording, save the video by clicking the “Stop” button. The file will be saved on your video folder.
- The video will appear on the “Preview Panel” of the tool, and to watch it, select the video and click the “Play” button.
OBS Studio is another excellent VLC record video alternative. The tool is probably one of the most popular screen recorders. Because of its many applications, it is one of the top choices among available screen recorders. The only downside of the tool is the not so user-friendly interface. The tool has many options and buttons that can confuse users who are not familiar with the tool. But in terms of video quality, OBS Studio lives up to its reputation because it can produce high definition video. If this tool piqued your interest, learn how to use it by following the steps below.
How to Use OBS Studio
- Get the installer of by clicking the header or name of the software above then hit the download button. Run the installer on your PC and follow the instructions that will appear.
- After installation, launch OBS Studio and on the main interface, click the “Add” button under the “Scene” section and name it.
- Next, click the “Add” section under “Sources” and select “Display Capture” and your screen will appear on the preview window.
- When all preparations are done, and you are ready to record, click the “Start Recording” button.
- When you have recorded what you need, finish the recording by clicking the “Stop Recording” button, and the video will be saved.
Last but not least is EZVID. Like what the name suggests, the tool is straightforward to use. Also, it allows the user to directly edit the video after recording because of its built-in video recorder — such powerful functions for a simple tool. However, the tool will add a watermark for every video that you record using it, but it is just only for a few seconds. The watermark will vanish after a few seconds, which is convenient for people who get distracted by watermarks on videos. Follow the steps below to know how to use EZVID on how to record screen using VLC alternative.
How to Use EZVID
- Download the installer by clicking the header or name of the app above. Then, run the installer on the PC and follow the setup wizard.
- Launch the tool after installation, and on the main interface, fill out the information for the video, and click the “Screen Capture” button to start recording.
- The tool only captures in full screen, and it cannot record a specific part.
- Once done, click the “Stop” button from the toolbar to end the recording process. The video will appear on the main interface where it is available to watch.
- When satisfied with the video, save to your PC by clicking the “Save Video” button.
There are many screen recorders to choose from. But if you already have a VLC Player on your PC, then that will be sufficient enough for your basic screen recording needs. However, if you are required to record a video with audio in it, then you can use AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro. This tool will be an indispensable tool on your PC because of its functionality and many applications. Produce high-quality videos and recording every time with AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro.