Fancy revealing to others how big name games are played on YouTube? Do you desire to create demos to display your applications, or to let others know how to utilize the specific software? Nevertheless, you ought to be very careful – many screen recording programs are going to add ugly watermarks into your videos or allow you to record few videos only before requiring cash, so it’s important to choose the correct screen recorder first to prevent unexpected outcomes.
Below is our selection of the top screen recorders for Windows and Mac, including both the free ones and paid ones. All of them will assist you in recording or streaming expert-quality video through your webcam or desktop.
The Best 5 Free Screen Recorder
1. OBS Studio
OBS studio is a perfect free screen recorder used for streaming or capturing games, designed with features to assist you to produce high-quality records.
- HD recording and streaming
- No video length restrictions
- Setup delay a bit
If you are a strong gamer, the best software for capturing you should go for is OBS Studio. It’s also straightforward to use. Unlike the very popular FRAPS (that allows you record only for 30 seconds once except you’ve purchased a permit key (license), and employs a watermark on the outcome footage), This app is a freeware. It’s totally open source program and has no limitation.
This screen recorder allows both high definitions of recording and streaming, with no limitation on the volume of creations or the length it should be. You can perform live streaming to YouTube gaming or Twitch, store projects and later retrieve them, or encrypt your film in FLV form and then locally save it.
Due to OBS Studio’s ability to record from your graphics memory card straight, it’s capable of capturing games operating in full-screen form (lots of different screen recorders only this capacity of recording when windowed the game), with hotkeys that are customizable to manage the record. This app can likewise make extensive application of multi-core CPUs for enhanced functionality and also can carry on recording at 60FPS or higher.
Setting it up to suit your taste might delay a bit, but that notwithstanding OBS studio remains the best as well as the most robust screen recorder gamers should use.
2. FlashBack Express
This is another screen recorder full of so many features that are perfect for games recording and film/footage capturing via your webcam.
- Interface which is well designed
- Inbuilt video editor
- Exports only to WMV form
Our best choice for direct records from a webcam or desktop is OBS Studio. However, Flashback Express can be regarded as the second. Regardless of being a freeware of a paid software, you won’t notice any ugly water watermarks on your record or any more of time restriction at the course of using FlashBack Express. Also, FlashBack Express is designed with tools and features that match lots of premium software. It has less intimidating interface unlike OBS Studio, hence in case you have not made use of any screen recorder earlier, then this is the best choice for you.
You can carry out a recording from your entire screen, a selected area, a webcam, or a window. The moment you are done, you will see your recording appearing in an easy editor, here you can then trim and crop it to match what you desire, and proceed to export it to an FTP server, YouTube, or even your PC.
That is all a reasonable standard advance for a screen recorder that’s free. However, you can as well take out little time to jump into the advanced option of Flashback, and you will discover a lot of carefully outlined settings which will enable your recordings to look absolutely professional. Automatically the recorder can hide passwords inputted on the screen, substitute your ridiculous wallpaper with another one that’s plain, obscure disordered desktop icons, and also highlight the pointer of your mouse making it simpler to follow. Also, there’s a given gaming mode which allows you set the number of spans recorded each second.
Your recording length has no limit except you choose to install one, which might be beneficial if there is an opportunity you may mistakenly allow the recorder to continue running. Again, you can want to divide long recordings into chunks (parts) – a sensitive touch which assists you to prevent creating large, awkward files. There will be no watermark on your recordings either.
To be able to save your recordings in other formats apart from WMV, you will have to upgrade to a Flashback premium versions. However, only that is the notable restriction of this excellent free screen recorder.
FlashBack Express is always accessible as it lives down in your task bar, system tray or floating above the desktop. When you are ready to make a recording simply click the record button and let the wizard guide you to great recording sessions, the first time. And when you are satisfied, you can easily publish your new recording on the Web – upload to YouTube, Blip.tv, Viddler or Revver or copy the URL and share it around.
Pros & Cons:
A lot of control over video and audio settings; can capture web cam images and integrate with the screen session; can hide desktop icons automatically during recording; outputs to AVI, or SWF or FLV Flash files; built-in YouTube and Blip.tv uploaders.
The built-in Editor Timeline is a tease: there’s nothing you can edit with it unless you purchase a Standard or Pro version; no panning to follow the cursor.
3. AceThinker Free Online Screen Recorder
This is a built-in browser recorder which is more robust than nearly desktop applications.
- No watermarks or time limits
- So many options for export
- Not advisable for games
In case you need to take a record of a tutorial, presentation, software demonstration, attempt using AceThinker Free Online Screen Recorder. It is built to be used on browsers, which implies it’s not proper for games. However, it’s perfect for other tasks.
When you make use of this tool for the first time, you will receive a prompt asking you to download a little launcher app. Then, you’ll be shown settings where you can find more options that you can’t see in most of other desktops apps used for recording. You’ll be able to capture films/videos from your webcam or desktop, and from your PC, microphone or even the two or none of them, record audio.
You can take the entire screen’s record, manually choose a region or select one among the pre-sets. This app is perfect when you are taking YouTube clip record, for instance, and you don’t desire to employ a different video editor for resizing it later.
This tool also provides keyboard shortcuts which are customizable for convenience and speed. You can decide whether to involve the cursor in the record or not and select from a variety formats for outputs including MOV, WMV, AVI, MP4, etc. You can also include annotations while recording.
The moment you finished, the recording can be saved as a GIF file or video, directly upload it to Vimeo or YouTube, or transfer it to Dropbox or Google Drive. Also, you’ll be able to edit the video clip. When this option is select, an additional part called the AceThinker Video Editor will be downloaded and this permits you to perform simple adjustments before your video will be exported in the format you preferred. It’s really an excellent tool.
Remember that the button ‘Download desktop version’ will take you to the Pro version of AceThinker Screen Recorder. This is not a full version of a premium app and thus restricted than Screen Recorder found online.
Now, let’s start the guide to capture Skype video with this free web-based application.
Step1 Launch the application
Launch your web browser and go to Acethinker Online Screen Recorder, click “Start Recording” to run the app. You need to install a launcher the first time you use this recording app.
Step2 Open the video you wished to record
Open a Sky Go video you want to record, adjust Acethinker recording area to fit the play window of video, and then play the Sky Go video.
Step3 Start recording
Press REC to start the recording. When you want to end the recording, just press “Stop” button and click the check mark.
Step4 Preview the recorded file
Preview the recorded video with the built-in media player, select any video clip you want to save by dragging the timeline bar. And then click “Save” button, Acethinker will ask you where to save the recorded video. You can also upload the video to hosting websites directly.
This screen capture has No frills. It has a bonus 2GB cloud storage.
- Starts recording in one-click
- Has Cloud storage
- Not proper for games
This is an open screen recorder created to take desktop and webcam footage – usually non-in-game activity. It is easy to start a record, all you have to do is to click the button and then choose the sections of the screen and then hit Ctrl + R key.
There is no watermark in the recordings done with this app though you are restricted to just five minutes of clips per time. That may not be good enough as compared to a few other video screen recorders here that are also free. However, for a typical YouTube Tutorial, that is okay.
The moment you are done recording, you can proceed to preview your video and then export it to your storage disk (hard drive), to the cloud service of TinyTake that allows you to use 2GB for storing clips, or to YouTube.
You can also find tools like annotations which is only available to the TinyTake’s pro versions. These tools are meant for industrial use.
Also, TinyTake is a sound and smooth screen recorder. However, the does not have enough tools for editing, and this is a shameful thing about the app as such it’s placed below AceThinker in our ranking.
To capture a video, click the key combination (default is
Then draw the region that will be shown in the video. When you are done recording, click the Stop button.
Then choose the Save & Share icon or the “Save” icon. To close the video without sharing or saving, choose the X.
How do I capture an іmage?
To capture an image with TinyTake, you can use the default Hot Keys which are:
- <CTRL> + <PrtScrn> Captures the full screen.
- <SHIFT> + <PrtScrn> Captures a region you specify.
- <ALT> + <PrtScrn> Captures the current window.
Pressing the key combination will freeze your screen and show a capture tool if the “Region” or “Current Window” key combination was pressed. Click and drag to select a region or click on the window that you want to capture.
5. Xsplit Broadcaster
This app is ideal for gamers. However, restricted when you desire to prevent watermarks.
- Takes input from whatever source
- Recording as well as live streaming
- Limited options for output
There are two qualities of Xsplit’s recording and streaming software: Gamecaster and Broadcaster. They’re quite alike, but the last is a more traditional screen recorder, and the former is meant mainly for gamers.
This screen recorder has three tiers: personal (for strostreamers), free, and then premium (for business use). The open/free version adds a watermark to recordings above 60fps or over 720p resolutions. This is the main disadvantage of this app when compared with OBS Studio. Nevertheless, the simple interface of Xsplit may make that bargain useful if you just plan to post to YouTube at the conventional definition.
It can take input from whatever source, including a webcam, video card, media file, your screen, or a particular application. Automatically its ability to detect games triggers the moment you start playing, and the outcome can be shown as video file or can be streamed directly via Twitch, Facebook Live and YouTube Live, to name just a few.
Top 5 Paid Screen Recording Software
1. Smart Pixel
Despite that it appears to be fashioned to be used by games, Smart Pixel can record anything that can be shown on screen. Since it is fashioned to be used mainly for games, recording can be done with ease and coherence, and it is not easily noticed as you play. High video compression technology is employed by Smart Pixel to make videos that are high in quality so as to enhance on disk space utilization.
- HD videos are recorded, and disk space is enhanced
- What is on your webcam and monitor can be recorded at the same time on the picture -in-picture mode
- Clipping, merging, adding subtitles and dubbing are part of the post-editing functions.
- Although there is no multilingual version on hand, the website says it will soon be available.
This is what is obtainable with the paid version:
You can get Smart Pixel licenses at $15.90 for a year, $ 40.90 for five years, and $63.90 for a license that can last a lifetime. The paid version also allows you to
- Record with no watermark
- Personalize your definition settings,
- Record with frame rates that are higher.
2. Screenflow by Telestream
With ScreenFlow, all the things on your computer can be captured at the same time, including your whole monitor area, webcam, microphone and computer audio. Screenflow also allows you to record and edit your Video and share it on various social media platforms.
Screenflow claims that their screen capture is the best available, even when seen on Retina Displays.
We recommend that you record a few sample screencasts to familiarize yourself with ScreenFlow and its options, before creating a screencast for publication. To record a screencast with ScreenFlow, follow these basic steps:
- Open your Applications folder.
- Drag ScreenFlow onto your dock bar.
- Double-click the ScreenFlow icon to launch the application. When you launch ScreenFlow, it displays a Welcome window.
When you’re ready to start recording, select New Recording to display the Configure Recording window.
Configuring Your Recording
- Use the Configure Recording window to specify your recording sources. This opens when you launch the application and select New Recording. It can also be accessed from ScreenFlow Helper > Configure Recording.
- Record Desktop from. This option records your computer display. If you have multiple displays connected, you can choose between them but ScreenFlow cannot record multiple displays simultaneously.
- Record Video from. This option records video from any camera connected to your computer. Use the pop-up menu to choose from multiple cameras. Upon selecting a source, a preview image displays below.
Beginning Your Recording
- When you are ready, click the Record button. ScreenFlow enters a countdown mode before recording. You can change the length of this countdown (see Using the Countdown Window). Create a short presentation then stop your recording: press Shift-Command-2 or select Stop Record from the ScreenFlow Helper menu in the upper-right corner of your display. When you stop recording, ScreenFlow opens your recording in the ScreenFlow editing window with all of your recorded sources placed on the timeline. Display video and computer audio are combined into one clip; camera video and microphone audio are combined in another clip, to maintain video/audio sync. Video and audio can be separated by selecting the clip and choosing Edit > Detach Audio.
The purpose of this tour is to familiarize you with the basic editing features of ScreenFlow. This tour describes some of the most common and basic editing techniques. When you finish your recording, ScreenFlow creates a new document and recorded media is placed at the beginning of the timeline. The media elements on the timeline reference your project’s stored media. Changes made on the timeline or on the canvas do not alter your original recording.
- Recording and editing can be done after initial Recording
- Support for closed captions your video
- Different types of files are for publishing can be exported.
- Free version has no time restriction.
- Videos made with free version are watermarked
- To upgrade from past versions, you must pay.
This is what is obtainable with the paid version:
- The cost of ScreenFlow is USD 99.00. A backup disk can be gotten for $20.00. To upgrade from outdated versions costs $34.00.
- Despite that the free version is entirely working and doesn’t have time restrictions, videos can be exported to the paid version without watermark.
3. AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro
This is a great paid screen recording tool that enables you to record any area of you computer screen. You can either capture the screen as video or screenshot. By following the intuitive interface, you will be able to create high quality videos with annotations. Games, webinars, video chats, mouse activities, online videos and more can be recorded with this program.
To use this tool you may follow these steps:
- Download the program and install it on your computer. Activate the program and you will get to the interface.
- Use your mouse to click the first icon on top menu. This will make a small menu drop-down where you can select different recording modes such as full screen, region and others. Region mode requires that you click and drag your mouse to select the area of the screen you want to be recorded.
- Click “OK” to begin the recording process.
- When the desired video is complete, click “Stop” and the file will be saved to your hard drive and added to a list of recorded files in the application. More features about this screen capture program can be read on the product page.
- Modern and friendly interface
- Record full screen, region , webcam and even around mouse
- Record video and audio simultaneously
- Save the recording to MP4, WMV, FLV, AVI, GIF and more formats
- Capture screenshots from your screen
- Schedule recording tasks ahead
- Upload recorded video to YouTube or FTP
- The free trial version has limitations on the recording time
- There will be watermark on the output video
- Video editing functions are relatively simple
This is what is obtainable with the paid version:
You can get Screen Grabber Pro 1 year license at $29.95 and lifetime license at $39.95. Once registered, the program enables you to utilize all the functions without any limitations:
- The paid version has no recording time limits and watermark
- Free update and tech support
4. Icecream Screen Recorder
Any area of your screen can be captured either as a screenshot a video or graphic recording if you with the use of this Screen Recorder. The Screen Recorder claims a spontaneous interface which is very easy to use with a range of opinions and tools. Screen Recorder creates videos of games, webinars, as well as Skype discussion in a way that it looks professional.
- Your video capture can either be drawn, outlined or have arrows added to it
- Screen recording can be done with webcam recording
- You can zoom in as you record with the zoom tool
- Multiple screen captures can be set on a timer
- With the free version, only 10 minutes of recording time is allowed.
- WEBM is the only video format with free version that is accessible
This is what is obtainable with the paid version:
A lifetime license for two computers on Screen Recorder can be gotten for a one-time fee of $29. 95.
- License for commercial use of the software is also included.
- the length of the video recorded with the PRO version has no restrictions
- Different types of video formats with MP4 as part of it can be saved in.
- A personalized watermark can be added to the video
- priority support is very much accessible
Professional videos can be recorded with Camtasia; this includes videos of actions in your computer’s monitor with little attempt.
Also, as regards video recording, you are also given a chance by Camtasia to import HD video into what you are recording from source from an outside source. Camtasia is peculiar because engaging videos that have links that are clickable can be made to get active video content fit for use in the classroom or workplace.
- Multiple audio and video tracks can be recorded
- The presence of a green a screen to make it look like you are included in the action
- Animated items such as scrolling text and callouts can be included with ease
- Integration of Google drive
- Videos can be recorded with the available free app and sent to Camtasia for editing
- Exhibition of full software is only free for 30 days
- users are banned from making videos for mercantile purposes when making use of the free version
This is what is obtainable with the paid version:
Getting a software key for a single user license for Camtasia is $299. 00. Little money can be preserved (close to $50.00) if you buy 5-9 licenses. When you purchase 14-24 licenses, the discount goes up to almost $90. 99. When you buy a license, you get:
- updates to the version you bought
- an allowance for the software installation on up to 2 machines
No matter what kind of software you select, it’s a must as an educator/ teacher, blogger, or game player that you use video recording software. You can only go so far with bringing in together an instructions or writing a review. A video that is looking professionally when added to your tutorial, blog post, or review will certainly increase your viewer’s engagement.