OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is an open source free video recording program. This article will teach you how to use OBS to record your computer screen. If you get confused with the complicated steps, you can turn to an easy to use screen recorder instead. Get the easy video recorder from the button below.Try It Free
OBS is an open-source and completely free screen recorder that allows you to record desktop and online live streaming video. It is a lightweight software that supports Windows, Mac, and Linux operating system. Open Broadcast Software is a video streaming and mixing software, but primarily it is known for its screen recording proficiencies along with recording gameplays and switching between multiple windows at a time. It performs video editing, filtering, color correction, and real-time audio enhancement and noise removal by its built-in sound enhancer. The settings panel is diverse and equipped with maximum customization for users. However, around 80% of OBS consumers require the software mostly for recording and saving gameplays.
How to Use OBS to Record Gameplay
Here are few steps of how to record games with Open Broadcast Software with moderate settings.
1. Download the Open Broadcaster Software from their official website and install it once downloaded. Please make sure you get the right version according to your operating system.
2. Click on the Settings tab and configure the settings by selecting Encoding Settings.
3. For low bitrate, set the maximum bitrate to 750 for output video and 128 bitrates for output audio. You can change settings for high output quality from the same settings tab.
4. After configuring audio and video setting, go to Broadcast Settings window and select the desired output folder on your PC. You can also set several hotkeys for future use as shortcuts.
5. Select Scene Box by right click, from properties of Scene box, select Add Scene button and enter the name of your choice to be saved later.
6. After choosing the name, draw the cursor again to Source Box, this time right-click on it and select Add button. From there, go to Game Capture tab that opens up windows after you click OK.
7. Before starting to record the gameplay, check again if the game selected is the required one. Select the preview stream button on UI to check. Close Preview Stream tab once confirmed.
8. After that, click on Start Recording icon and your gameplay will start recording instantly after a pop-up window appears.
9. To end the gameplay recording, directly hit Stop Recording button and you are done with an entirely recorded gameplay saved to the destination folder.
10. You can edit, add, or replace anything from the output video.
OBS Alternative to Record Screen to Video
If OBS doesn’t work for you or your PC, here’s an equally competent OBS alternative for you – AceThinker Screen Grabber Pro, which is easy to use, lighter than Open Broadcast Software and free of annoying settings that most of us never needed. It enables you to record video in full screen, region, webcam, etc. methods with audio from the system, your microphone or both. High quality video output is ensured for a better screencast. And you can record to a number of formats, including MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV and more for playing and sharing almost anywhere you like. It is full of features, yet consumers are allowed to take control of limited features while most of the settings are made default.
Now you can get the right version of this alternative to Open Broadcaster Software to record games, your desktop, videos, etc. at leisure. Install it follow the wizard and then have a look at the step-by-step method of how to record with it below.
Try It Free
Before starting to record, you can click Settings > Options to configure your essential output settings like the output video format, destination folder, recording hotkeys, mouse cursor style, etc.
After that, click Audio Input to select the audio source to suit your needs. You can add audio from the system, microphone or both. The audio tracks will be synced simultaneously with no lag.
Now it’s time to play the game your need to capture. To start creating the screencast, get back to the screen recorder and select a recording mode from Full Screen or Region. If you choose to record just a particular area, you will then be asked to hold to select your desired region required to be visible on the screen. The recording will start once the OK button is pressed. As you see, during the recording process, you can even use the built-in editor to add some narrations, insert your webcam and more to enhance your video instantly.
When the recording is done, you can stop it by hitting the Stop icon. The recorded video will then be saved to the place you have specified earlier and will be displayed on the list of the main interface. You can then locate, rename or play it freely. This OBS screen recorder alternative even allows you to share the recorded video to YouTube or FTP using its built-in uploading function.
The easy to use interface and all the versatile functions make Screen Grabber Pro a great alternative to OBS recorder. Just get it now and record any activity on your computer screen with ease.