Adobe Captivate is a presentation creator, just like PowerPoint but is better in many ways. The tool is primarily used in creating eLearning materials like instructional videos, mind maps, charts and more. Aside from that, Adobe Captivate is also capable of recording screen activities which makes it perfect for creating instructional videos and software demos. Adobe Captivate is part of the Adobe suite, which consists of various software from the Adobe Corporation. Adobe Captivate is a premium tool, which means that it needs to be purchased. However, the tool is free to download and use to some extent even if no purchase was made. This means that one cannot fully utilize the tool unless they pay for the licensed version. With that being said, many Adobe Screen recorder alternatives have appeared, that can fulfill whatever Adobe Captivate can’t. Read on to learn more of these worthy alternatives and how to use some of them.
Like mentioned above, Adobe Screen capture software is equipped with lots of premium features. That is the reason why it takes someone with the knowledge, to fully understand how the tool works. However, with the steps below, you will learn how to use the basic screen recorder function of the tool. Follow the steps accordingly and learn how to record screen activities with Adobe Captivate.
- Have the software downloaded from the official site and install it.
- When you launch Adobe Captivate screen capture, a screen will appear asking which function to use. Select the “Video Demo” option and then a window will appear.
- From the new window that will appear, select how you want the recording to go. First, select “Screen Area” and then choose between “Custom Size” and “Full Screen.” If you choose “Custom Size” then you can set the height and width by yourself, or select from pre-made settings.
- Once done with the recording mode, it’s now time to select other options for your recording.
- If you want the screen to be recorded steadily, then leave the “Panning” on default as shown on the image. Otherwise, if you change the setting then the focus of the recording will follow the areas around the mouse pointer. If you are making a basic video without voice-over, then leave “Audio” as it is.
- When satisfied with the initial settings, start the actual recording process by clicking the “Record” button.
- The tool does not have a “Stop” button, so in order to end the recording, click the “End” key if you are using Windows. For Mac users on the other hand, they should hold down the “Command + Enter” keys together. Once this is done, the video will appear on playback, and you will have the chance to save it or publish it.
First, lets talk about the a great alternative to Adobe Captivate, which is Acethinker Screen Grabber Pro. As the name suggests, the primary function of the tool is to record your screen activities. This is an efficient way to record your screen activities, especially with its “Scheduler” function, which allows users to set a date and time to record their screen activities automatically. Aside from the that, the tool also have different video enhancing functions that helps improve your educational videos by keeping them interesting to its viewers. In order to learn how to use the tool, follow the steps provided below.
Try It Free
Step1 Download and install Screen Grabber Pro to your PC
To install Screen Grabber Pro to your PC, download its installer first by clicking one of the download buttons above. Once download is complete, run the installer and follow the instructions provided by the setup wizard. After that, complete the installation process by clicking the “Launch” button and then the main interface of the tool will appear.
Step2 Set the recording mode
Once installation is finished, launch the tool and the main interface will appear. From there, click the “Drop down” menu button, which is located next to the “Record” button. From the list of options that will appear, select which recording mode to use. The “Region” mode allows the user to select which part of the screen to include to the recording. “Full Screen” on the other hand, is the exact opposite of the previous mode, as it covers the entire screen area. Aside from the two mentioned, there are other options available to use under the same menu. Click the recording mode and then click the “OK” button from the notification bar that will appear. The recording will now begin after a three-second countdown.
Step3 Add annotations and enhancements while recording and save the video
While recording is ongoing, you can add enhancements and annotations which are important when creating a instructional video. Click the “Pen” icon from the floating toolbar, and the available options will appear. When done, end the recording process by clicking the “Stop” button and the video will be saved on your PC. Before actually using the video, you can check if there things that can be improved, by watching it from the “Preview Panel” of the tool. Simply select the video and click the “Play” button, on the other hand, if you want to go to the actual file location, click the “Open folder” button and the folder will appear.
Tip: Another way to use Screen Grabber Pro is by using it’s Task Scheduler option, which allows you to record your screen even if you are not around. Just click the “Settings” tab and click “Task Scheduler.” From the new window that will appear, create a task schedule by setting up the “Start time” and the “Duration” of the recording and click “Create” and you are all set. The recording will automatically start when the set date and time comes even if you are not around.
Next great alternative to Adobe Premiere screen capture is Icecream Screen Recorder. This tool is more popular choice among people who, record screen frequently because it is free. However, it does not mean that it lacks in performance as it also provides high-quality video output. The tool is designed with simple buttons and interface, making it one of the most convenient and easy to use screen recording software. As mentioned, the tool is free to download, and the only limitation is the recording limit which is a maximum of three minutes. To use the full functions of the tool, one must purchase a licensed version of the tool. In order to use Icecream Screen Recorder to make educational videos, follow the steps below.
How to use Icecream Screen Recorder
- Get the installer of Icecream Screen Recorder Recorder by visiting its official website. Run the installer on the PC and follow the on-screen instructions accordingly from the installation wizard.
- Once installation is finished, the main interface will appear and from the home-screen, select “Capture Video.”
- Select between Region and Full-screen modes then start the recording process by clicking the “Record” button.
- Add annotation while recording by clicking the “Draw” button from the recording toolbar.
- After clicking the “Stop” button, the video will be saved and will appear on the “Play Panel” of the tool, where you can watch it directly. Select the video, and click the “Play” button from the toolbar.
OBS Studio is the last on the list of Adobe Premiere screen recording alternatives which is better than screen recording with Adobe. This is an open-sourced, absolutely free to use screen recorder which is widely used around the world. OBS Studio can capture screen activities with audio, which is why it is perfect for recording gameplay with commentaries. The tool produces high-quality videos which is why can be uploaded online. However, the tool is not very user-friendly because of the many buttons scattered around the main-interface. To learn how to use this tool, follow the steps below.
- Download and install OBS Studio by visiting the its official website.
- Get the installer and then run it on the PC.
- Launch the tool, and from the main interface, click the “Add” button under the “Scene” column, next is to click another “Add” button under the “Sources” button.
- Choose “Display Capture” from the set of options that will appear.
- Finally, hit the “Start Recording” button to begin recording with OBS Studio. Once done recording, click the “Stop Recording” button and the video will be then saved.
It is true that Adobe Captivate is in a different league among other competitors. However, there will be other tools that can perform the same as with Adobe Captivate. Just like the tools mentioned above, especially Acethinker Screen Grabber Pro. The tool itself can compete when it comes to performance and video output quality. That is for a more cost efficient solution, you can try Acethinker Screen Grabber Pro.