PDF is a good way to distribute information and files while protecting its content. But that level of security does have its drawbacks. There’s no straightforward way to edit text or content on a PDF. To edit the PDF, generally you will need to convert the file to Word or another file type where editing is possible. Converting PDF to Word is the quickest and most convenient option as in Word or similar software, you can edit PDF content as much as you like. There are many free open source PDF to Word converters that will help you do the conversion. Here we will review 5 of the best open source tools to convert PDF to Word document for free.
AceThinker Free PDF to Word converter is available online and eliminates the need to download the app, install, and consume storage space. But you can download and install the Desktop version if you want. Conversion is also quick and easy.We can say that it’s one of the best open source PDF to Word converters that you shouldn’t ignore. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to convert PDF to editable text in Word using Acethinker Free online PDF to Word Converter.
- Original formatting is retained accurately.
- Safe and secure, no popups or ads
- Fast conversion speed from PDF to Word
- Guaranteed high-quality conversion
Step1 Add PDF file to uploadGo to Free PDF to Word Converter to start using this tool. Click the plus sign (+) button to add your chosen file to upload.
Step2 Convert to download your fileConversion automatically starts once upload is completed. Then, click the “Download” button to get the converted file. Then, to preview the file click “Open folder”.
It’s that quick and easy. You won’t even have to wait for 2 minutes to convert a 1 or 2-page PDF. What is even better is that all your uploaded files, if you choose to convert PDFs online are kept safe and private.
UniPDF is an easy-to-use standalone software that coverts PDF into a Word (doc) or text (rtf) file. It also converts PDF into several other file types; JPG/PNG/BMP/TIF/GIF/PCX/TGA, HTML, and Plain text or txt. You can use this open source PDF to Word converter to convert a single PDF or in batch mode.
- Simple and intuitive interface
- Converts to other file types and formats
- Support batch processing
- Advanced settings are available – set resolution and color bits when converting images
- Image content is accurately preserved
- Loses some text formatting
- Free to download, pay to upgrade
- Trial edition only allows 3 pages of PDF to be converted to Word
NemoPDF to Word is a one-paged software where everything you need from a PDF to Word open source converter is packed into a single interface. The buttons are displayed conspicuously, and conversion is quick. Comes with a link to the online converter. Convert PDF to DOC and RTF formats so you can edit the content. It has a settings menu where you can tweak how you want PDF to Word conversion happens. Do you want to change the character spacing? Do you want images to be removed when converting?
- Easy to use
- Text content is well-preserved upon conversion
- Supports partial and batch conversion
- Free to use/download
- Interface appearance could be better
- Few minor color issues on images
- Extra options are not available
- Conversion to DOCX is not possible
PDFMate is another free open source PDF to Word converter that is simple to use. It also supports JPG to PDF conversion. From PDF, files are converted into editable versions in Word/Text/EPUB/Image/HTML/SWF. For security, add a password setting for original files.
- Supports batch conversion
- Converts fast and accurately
- Supports multiple languages
- Comes with advanced customization features – change output size, direction, and edges
- Limits conversion with OCR to 3 pages only
- Free to download, pay to access advanced features
Able2Extract PDF Converter can be used for free. Locate your preferred file and have it selected and opened with this app. You only need to choose an output format before tapping on convert.
- Several formats supported: It doesn’t only convert PDFs to editable Microsoft docs such as Excel, Word, but equally converts Microsoft excel, word to PDF.
- Fast conversion speed: It’ll take just 15sec for a file to be uploaded to their own server, and your converted file will be ready after a couple of seconds.
- This application does not require any connection to the internet.
- No file size limitation.
- You need PDF for previewing the result.
- It cannot change to other popular formats such as JPG.
PDFelement for iOS poses as the appropriate PDF converter which lets you have PDF files converted into Excel, Word, PowerPoint, HTML, XML, Pages, RTF, ePubs as well as Text on iPad and iPhone. It allows you to snap a picture of anything, after which, it can be converted to PDF files. This app is a superb converter, merger, annotator, editor, scanner as well as form-filling app for iPhones. It has a user-friendly interface. It is capable of doing so many things that most PDF converters cannot like PDF based form filling, the signing and management of PDF pages according to your preference. Additionally, it is equally suitable as a tool for transferring files since it functions with various cloud services like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and wireless connection that allows you to transfer your files between your mobile devices and your desktop wirelessly.
As one of the professional PDF converters, PDFelement for iOS has been designed to change PDF files to other acceptable formats for iPad, iPhone and other mobile device. It allows users to change and edit PDF on the go. It is equally supportive of multiple systems like Mac OS X, Windows PC, as well as Android. Hence, you can do your PDF conversion and editing on your own iPhone device, and you can equally edit the converted files further when you’ve got a system with you.
An open source PDF to Word converter makes editing PDFs so much easier, especially if you need to do this many times in a day. Instead of copying the text to Word, conversion takes the hassle out of copy-paste. This gets even better if the software supports batch processing. A free open source PDF to Word converter for desktop is preferable since you don’t need to upload files to a third-party, and you don’t need to be online to convert PDFs. As long as you find an online converter that guarantees safety and protection for your files, you’re good to go. What to download and use may be a personal preference. Just choose wisely by analyzing the features of every open source PDF to Word converter that you come across.