PDF is a good way to distribute information and files while protecting its content. But that level of security does have its drawbacks. There’s no straightforward way to edit text or content on a PDF. To edit the PDF, generally you will need to convert the file to Word or another file type where editing is possible. Converting PDF to Word is the quickest and most convenient option as in Word or similar software, you can edit PDF content as much as you like. There are many free open source PDF to Word converters that will help you do the conversion. Here we will review 5 of the best open source tools to convert PDF to Word document for free.
AceThinker Free PDF to Word Converter
AceThinker Free PDF to Word converter is available online and eliminates the need to download the app, install, and consume storage space. But you can download and install the Desktop version if you want. Conversion is also quick and easy.We can say that it’s one of the best open source PDF to Word converters that you shouldn’t ignore. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to convert PDF to editable text in Word using Acethinker Free online PDF to Word Converter.
- Original formatting is retained accurately.
- Safe and secure, no popups or ads
- Fast conversion speed from PDF to Word
- Guaranteed high-quality conversion
Step1 Add PDF file to uploadGo to Free PDF to Word Converter to start using this tool. Click the plus sign (+) button to add your chosen file to upload.
Step2 Convert to download your fileConversion automatically starts once upload is completed. Then, click the “Download” button to get the converted file. Then, to preview the file click “Open folder”.
It’s that quick and easy. You won’t even have to wait for 2 minutes to convert a 1 or 2-page PDF. What is even better is that all your uploaded files, if you choose to convert PDFs online are kept safe and private.
UniPDFUniPDF is an easy-to-use standalone software that coverts PDF into a Word (doc) or text (rtf) file. It also converts PDF into several other file types; JPG/PNG/BMP/TIF/GIF/PCX/TGA, HTML, and Plain text or txt. You can use this open source PDF to Word converter to convert a single PDF or in batch mode.
- Simple and intuitive interface
- Converts to other file types and formats
- Support batch processing
- Advanced settings are available – set resolution and color bits when converting images
- Image content is accurately preserved
- Loses some text formatting
- Free to download, pay to upgrade
- Trial edition only allows 3 pages of PDF to be converted to Word
Nemo PDF to WordNemoPDF to Word is a one-paged software where everything you need from a PDF to Word open source converter is packed into a single interface. The buttons are displayed conspicuously, and conversion is quick. Comes with a link to the online converter. Convert PDF to DOC and RTF formats so you can edit the content. It has a settings menu where you can tweak how you want PDF to Word conversion happens. Do you want to change the character spacing? Do you want images to be removed when converting?
- Easy to use
- Text content is well-preserved upon conversion
- Supports partial and batch conversion
- Free to use/download
- Interface appearance could be better
- Few minor color issues on images
- Extra options are not available
- Conversion to DOCX is not possible
PDF Mate PDF ConverterPDFMate is another free open source PDF to Word converter that is simple to use. It also supports JPG to PDF conversion. From PDF, files are converted into editable versions in Word/Text/EPUB/Image/HTML/SWF. For security, add a password setting for original files.
- Supports batch conversion
- Converts fast and accurately
- Supports multiple languages
- Comes with advanced customization features – change output size, direction, and edges
- Limits conversion with OCR to 3 pages only
- Free to download, pay to access advanced features
An open source PDF to Word converter makes editing PDFs so much easier, especially if you need to do this many times in a day. Instead of copying the text to Word, conversion takes the hassle out of copy-paste. This gets even better if the software supports batch processing. A free open source PDF to Word converter for desktop is preferable since you don’t need to upload files to a third-party, and you don’t need to be online to convert PDFs. As long as you find an online converter that guarantees safety and protection for your files, you’re good to go. What to download and use may be a personal preference. Just choose wisely by analyzing the features of every open source PDF to Word converter that you come across.