Hulu has become one of the most popular destinations for people who want to watch quality television shows and movies online. There is a large selection of choices both old and new, including some of the latest TV series people talk about all the time. Hulu Plus, the TV show portion of the site, competes somewhat with Netflix, but offers currently airing selections that the other site doesn’t have. While this is great for viewers in the United States, watching Hulu outside the US is not currently available. Below are some options on how to watch Hulu outside the US so you too can enjoy the shows and movies everyone is talking about.
- General Tips for Unlocking Hulu
- Tips for Recording Live Stream on Hulu
- Ways to Download Hulu Videos
- Note: Hulu Continues to Expand into Other Markets
General Tips for Unlocking Hulu
Perhaps the simplest method is to set up a virtual private network or VPN in order to watch videos from the Hulu platform. Although Hulu tends to block the the IP Address given by many VPN services, we have evaluated and picked few of them which still work smoothly. Just follow the steps below:
- 1 – Download the Hotspot Shield program from hotspotshield.com.
- 2 – Extract the files, install and run the setup program to get it on your computer.
- 3 – Navigate to your computer’s task bar and look for a small red icon that wasn’t there before.
- 4 – Right click with your mouse on this icon and then click on “Connect.”
- 5 – A new browser window will open and the Hotspot Shield program will attempt to establish a connection to a private network. This will hide your location and allow for watching Hulu videos outside the United States.
- 6 – It will take about 10 to 20 seconds to make the connection and then you can do what you want on the VPN.
All you have to do then is navigate over to Hulu and browse for the videos you want to watch. After you are done, always remember to right click on the same red icon for the Hotspot Shield and disconnect once more. If you forget this, you will have a banner ad for the program on all of your browser windows.
Specific Tips for Streaming Hulu in UK and other Countries
Unlike Netflix, Hulu has no intention of expanding the service over the world. If you find the method of using VPN too complicate, you may also utilize a chrome/Firefox extension which enables users to unblock the site – Hola. Such extension has a built-in list of VPN and can help you sort out the best one automatically. In order to do so, just visit hola.org to download and install their featured product – Hola Unblocker. Such tool is free to go and only takes a short while to install on your browser properly.
Once done with installation, you will then notice a new icon added to your browser and placed next to the address bar. Upon confirmation with browsing from US within this plugin, you can then go for Hulu, NetFlix without hassle. If you don’t mind spending a short while on installing a plugin to your browser, you will find Hola provides absolutely free and also ad-free VPN proxy service for streaming videos online.
Tips for Recording Live Stream on Hulu
By using a handy screen recorder application, you’re able to save the videos from Hulu to hard drive and watch them offline later. Here we recommend Screen Grabber Pro, a versatile tool for capturing any activity on screen along with the sound, so it also covers recording any videos played on your screen.
First and foremost, take a free trial of the program, install it on your computer and then activate it. Now go to stream your favorite Hulu video on browser and pause at the beginning. Resume to the program’s panel, click "Start" button to expand the list on which you could select recording modes flexibly. Choose "Region" and then drag a region above the playback window of video stream.
You could then start recording after clicking "Ok" on the toolbar. Note that this toolbar goes along with recording and lets you control over the progress easily. You could pause/resume to current recording and also highlight the sceen with ease. Once done, just click "Stop" to save recorded video into desired format.
Ways to Download Hulu Videos
Using the above methods can help you watch Hulu from outside US, but the VPN can sometimes be slow, have intermittent service or may not unblock Hulu when you wish to access. Still, Hulu is not yet answering the international call for more access to their videos, but a better option is to download videos you like from Hulu. It’s advised to use VPN to visit Hulu and add your favorite clips into task list of the downloader program, and then you can just leave the site. Once the downloads are done, you can go for enjoying the Hulu videos you want without VPN anymore.
1 – RTMP Dump Helper – A Downloader for Windows
NirSoft created the RTMPDumpHelper program to help people grab videos they want to watch more easily. Begin by downloading the program to your desktop and extracting it from the zipped file. You will also need the RTMPDump toolkit specifically designed for your version of Windows. This should also be downloaded to your desktop and extracted to access the files within. Collect all the extracted files together and put them in one folder called RTMPDownload.
Once you have all the files together, open up your preferred browser and run the RTMPDumper program.
This puts the helper program into the top bars of your browser. Then, if you navigate to Hulu and select a video, the RTMPSuck grabs and downloads it directly to your RTMPDownload folder location. As long as you navigate to a video on Hulu, this program will work in the background to fetch the video source. It then puts the videos in MP4 format.
2 – Video Downloader Pro for Win/Mac
This easy to use program is the best if you want to download Hulu videos for Win/Mac. You can access not only Hulu clips but also videos from YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion and other sharing websites. Just follow this easy step-by-step guide to get started.
- 1 – Download this Hulu Downloader program and install it on your computer. Remember to select all the web browsers you will use to access Hulu and other video sharing sites during the process.
- 2 – Start up the program and open a web browser that matches your selections in the previous step. Open Hulu and navigate to a video you want to capture.
- 3– You can download Hulu videos when playing them on web browser. While the video clip is playing, you can click on a “Download” button that shows up on the same screen.
- 4 – Optional conversion to other file formats can also be done in this helpful program. After the video you want is saved offline for watching Hulu video outside the US, you can change the file format so you can view it on more devices and with more programs.
- 5 – Navigate to the "Library" section in the program, select the appropriate box by the video you want to convert and then click on "Convert." A small window will appear so you can choose the video file format you desire.
Alternately, you can grab the video from Hulu by copying the URL and then clicking on the "Paste URL" button in the program. This will download Hulu videos to your Download folder on the computer.
3 – DownloadHelper for Downloading Hulu on Browser Directly
There’re many browser addons which work like downloader program for you to grab playing videos on web. They’re simple to go with as it only requires one-click to get what you want, but only DownloadHelper works for Hulu currently (It’s because Hulu provides live stream videos which are not easy to grab).
This browser extension can be attached to Firefox/Chrome if you want to download videos from the Internet. You could easily visit the above link to install this small app to your browser. Once done, you will find the process of grabbing videos is very simple. Just load the video you wish to keep on Hulu and select the "Play" icon. As soon as it begins to run, the add-on’s icon will become active. Click the little arrow and select the bold file name from the list. You can choose where you wish to save the download file and then simply select the "Save" button to complete the process.
Hulu Continues to Expand into Other Markets
Hulu is answering the international call for more access to their videos. They have created www.Hulu.jp in Japan already and will continue to grow into other nations. They state their final goal is to be available worldwide, although there is no concrete time frame or process plan to do this. Expanding into new countries is a complicated process that involves local regulations as well as the video owners’ copyrights to their files.
Trafalgar has reviewed many software solutions in terms of multimedia, working efficiency, communication and more. He's keen to the strengths and weakness of each tool in evaluation. You could easily find out the best solutions for your needs in his articles regarding screencasts and video downloads.