As we all know, QuickTime Player is one of the pre-installed apps that comes with every Mac and it has been the default media player for Mac devices. If you own a modern Mac running Mac OS X 10.6 or higher, you will find that there is a screen recorder built-in the QuickTime Player X app. This QuickTime recorder allows you to easily record anything displayed on your Mac screen. No matter you want to capture some gameplay footages or show somebody how to use a program with video tutorials, you can make the screen recording using QuickTime without spending a dime.
However, when doing the QuickTime screen recording, you will find that you only get the screen – no audio. What about the situation when you need to record the audio simultaneously on your Mac? Can QuickTime record and audio at the same time? Now follow the instructions below to use QuickTime screen recorder to capture your Mac’s screen with audio with no hassles.
- QuickTime Screen Recording with Audio
- Alternative to QuickTime Screen Recorder
- Free Online Screen Recorder
How to Use QuickTime Screen Recording on Mac
QuickTime player cannot record the Mac screen with the sound that the computer is producing. In order to make QuickTime screen recording with audio, you need to install an audio recording helper. You can simply install Soundflower, a freeware that can help you route your Mac’s audio back into QuickTime so as to record it.
1. Download and Install Soundflower on your Mac. It will ask you to reboot the system after the installation.
2. Reboot your Mac and go into System Preferences > Sound > Output and select Soundflower (2ch)
3. Now you’re ready to use QuickTime to record screen with audio on Mac.
- Launch QuickTime Player and navigate to File in the menu bar, and then choose New Screen Recording to start a recording. (You can also use the shortcut Control + Command + N to get the screen recording option.)
- The screen recording window will then pop up and you can configure the video capture settings. Click the downward arrow that is located on the right side of the Record button to select an audio input. Here you can select Soundflower 2ch as the audio input source so as to get the audio from Mac.
- Click the red Record button to start recording your Mac. You can either click anywhere to begin recording the whole screen or drag & drop to select a specified area to record. After that, click the Start Recording to start the QuickTime screen recording.
- When the video is done, click the Stop button in the menu bar or press Command-Control-Esc on your keyboard to stop the recording. QuickTime will show you what you have recorded just now for you to check. If the recording is OK, you can click File > Save from the menu bar to save the video as a .MOV file.
In this way, you will capture video and audio simultaneously in one recording using QuickTime Player. Any sound made by your Mac, including notifications from the system will be recorded. It’s not hard to capture screen with audio using QuickTime, right?
Alternative Program to Record Screen Along with Audio
As QuickTime screen recording with audio needs the help of third-party programs and the recording functions are quite limited. Thus, many people are looking for a better Mac screen recorder that can record screen with audio simultaneously with more features. Here Screen Grabber Pro for Mac is recommended as the best alternative to QuickTime screen recorder to capture Mac screen with sound easily.
With it, you can record anything on your Mac screen along with sound from the system, microphone or both simultaneously. Besides, with the built-in editing functions, you are able to edit and annotate your video during the recording process. Moreover, it allows you to convert recorded videos to all popular formats like MOV, MP4, AVI, WMV, 3GP, FLV, etc. so you can play and share them anywhere you like. Just download the program and you can get all the recording tasks done following its intuitive and friendly interface.
Free Online Screen Recorder to Capture Screen with Sound
Another great alternative for QuickTime screen recording with sound is the free online screen recorder, which is available for both Mac and Windows users. It allows you to record screen activity together with the sound from system, microphone or both. With this free online app, you can record either the whole screen or just a part and save the screencast in your preferred format like MOV, MP4, AVI, WMV and many more. As it’s an online app, you don’t need to install it on your computer. But if it’s the first time you use it, you will need to install a launcher.